Is It Possible To Ruin A GSD's Coat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Is It Possible To Ruin A GSD's Coat?

i live in the desert, and although my 5 month old puppy is mostly an inside dog, when we let her out everyday to play and go potty she gets sooooo dirty, when i pet her you can see all the dirt just come off, i was wondering if giving her too many baths can ruin her gorgeous coat? i try not to bathe her much and i know dogs are dogs and are a bit dirty but i hate that she gets sooo dusty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Kola_2010 Send a message via Yahoo to Kola_2010
I'm sure that to many baths are not good for dogs coats...

Their skin could get to much and become to oily or to dry.

Just like human hair...women shouldnt wash their hair everyday its bad for the cells...

They have this new stuff at PetSmart.... its like cleaning wipes for dogs...maybe that would work and might not be so harsh as washing him everyday.

Where out in the desert do you live?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 AM

I would just do a lot of brushing and instead of a full bath, try spritzing the coat with a spray bottle(mist setting). Just enough that its doesn't get down to skin, then dry off and brush. Thats what I do with Frodo. I only bathe him about 4 times a year. Whenever I spritz him down, it revives the shampoo smell and his coat feels soft like he just had a bath.

Frodo - GSD, DOB 12/13/2007, Diagnosed EPI 10/21/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge - Chance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

i live in the Mojave desert, my husband is a marine, so were stationed in 29 palms, ca.
and i dont think there is a anyway i can only bathe her 4 times a year but i will try the spritzer and see if that works! i usually only give her a bath a month
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Use a quality shampoo followed by conditioner and you'll be fine. You can also do regular rinsing without fully washing, I was rinsing down Emma with the hose all summer long, either because she had been swimming or just to wet her in the heat.

I bathe Tessa nearly weekly and her coat is still great. She has to get frequent baths due to work.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Kola_2010 Send a message via Yahoo to Kola_2010
Wow really!!!!

My future husband and I was thinking about moving to Laughlin, NV. I love the heat and the desert terrain.. the only thing I like about Florida is the beaches.

One bath per month isnt bad at all.... I dont think a little water and brushing is bad... or the one bath per month... but that also might depend on the soap you are using...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Crowned Member

Can you try using only water? If not, only use conditioner. It'll clean and freshen up the coat without removing the oils, while also depositing moisture.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 AM

I usually do this about every 3 weeks when its cooler outside and it doesn't dry out his coat because its not getting down to the skin. Don't have to in summer because he's always playing in the water. Hope this helps.

Frodo - GSD, DOB 12/13/2007, Diagnosed EPI 10/21/2011

Waiting at the Bridge - Chance
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Dog Conditioner Right?
and yea i love the heat but the sad part is that you get used to it real fast and when you get used to it, the heat isnt so great anymore. lol 120 degree weather is just HOT!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I would do as others suggested, just rinse her down with water. GSD coats tend to shed dirt - so a good brushing will also help.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page