I want to slap my uncle. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Angry I want to slap my uncle.

Whenever the mods get a chance I wanted to post the previous thread I
made(same title) into this section, if you could delete it and keep this one that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyways,my uncle is living with us for now. He has no job, and no house(obviously), he gets on my nerves, but this just did it. My uncle just recently told me he wants to get into the dog breeding business. I asked him why he said "To make some money!!" with a big smile on his face! I am all for responsible breeding and have alot of respect for responsible breeders.

I told him alot goes into breeding such as health testing, training, choosing the parents of the litters, screening puppy buyers. But he said whatever. He then starts petting Tanner and said "Do you have papers?" all happily. I am thinking, just because the dog has papers doesn't mean he/she should be bred. He said would breed Tanner! First of all Tanner was brought in to the shelter as a stray so therefore he have NO idea on his background information. We wouldn't know what he would pass on to his offspring, he is not of the breed standard and so on, and wouldn't let him breed Tanner at all.

I am all for educating people who want to be breeders and want to do it to better the breed and be responsible. But clearly my uncle is in it for the money. He knows I volunteer at the shelter, and I knows I love dogs, so I guess he thought I would be all OK with him wanting to breed dogs just for the heck of it and make some money. Of course I am not. I was so furious, I wanted to scream at him!!

I love my dogs, they are smart and beautiful, but that does NOT mean I should breed them. I have gotten offers to breed them, but said no and moved on. But this is my uncle!

I only support responsible breeders. I will only get a dog from responsible breeders, shelters, and rescues. If he offered me a pup I would say no. He obviously doesn't care what goes into breeding and is only in it for the money and said so himself.

I just want to slap him! I hope he isn't serious and looks elsewhere to make money and gets out of our house.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiewessie99 View Post
First of all Tanner was brought in to the shelter as a stray so therefore he have NO idea on his background information. We wouldn't know what he would pass on to his offspring, he is not of the breed standard and so on, and wouldn't let him breed Tanner at all.

I am all for educating people who want to be breeders and want to do it to better the breed and be responsible. But clearly my uncle is in it for the money. He knows I volunteer at the shelter, and I knows I love dogs, so I guess he thought I would be all OK with him wanting to breed dogs just for the heck of it and make some money. Of course I am not. I was so furious, I wanted to scream at him!!

I love my dogs, they are smart and beautiful, but that does NOT mean I should breed them. I have gotten offers to breed them, but said no and moved on. But this is my uncle!

I just want to slap him! I hope he isn't serious and looks elsewhere to make money and gets out of our house.
Hey there!
I am sorry as I do not know everything in regards to your dogs etc., but I believe I read in one of your posts that Tanner is a GSD-mix? I am not sure about Molly, but you have stated that Tanner was from a shelter and had possible Norwegian Elkhound in him? So I guess as a mixed breed one could definitely say he was not the GS standard?
I was also taken back with your saying that you have had offers to breed them?
Wasn't he neutered having been from a shelter? Or, neutered afterwards by you? So how could he be bred anyways?
It is sad that there are many people out there who do not understand the responsibility involved with breeding.
I knew a wonderful woman who bred Labradors. She was very involved with obedience trials, conformation classes,etc, but was still a BYB in my opinion. Her dogs never placed and instead of trying to better her lines she kept doing the same breedings over and over hoping for a lucky hit. I tried gently telling her one day that maybe she would do better by selling them all and starting over with better foundation bitches.
She was polite when she said it would be too much money, and she didn't think her dogs were all that bad.
However, after that day she gradually started not answering my phone calls to chat. Bummed me out a bit as I liked her, but I guess she felt I overstepped my bounds by saying that to her.
So, I would hold back on slapping anyone as there are many naive people in regards to this.. Maybe suggest taking him to the shelter so he can see for himself all the animals that are needing homes so desperately.

Make sure to have a newspaper delivered to your home each day with the "Help Wanteds" circled.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Send him here, specifically to Sue's thread, let him see what it's like to breed dogs.

Sounds like he doesn't even care what breed or even mix he creates, as long as he can sell cute puppies, and ignorant, uninformed people can't resist cute puppies. Very sad...

I don't know what to say as to what you should do, besides just keep encouraging him not to do it, and telling him Tanner is absolutely off limits. Good luck convincing him!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMarie59 View Post
Hey there!
I am sorry as I do not know everything in regards to your dogs etc., but I believe I read in one of your posts that Tanner is a GSD-mix? I am not sure about Molly, but you have stated that Tanner was from a shelter and had possible Norwegian Elkhound in him? So I guess as a mixed breed one could definitely say he was not the GS standard?
I was also taken back with your saying that you have had offers to breed them?
Wasn't he neutered having been from a shelter? Or, neutered afterwards by you? So how could he be bred anyways?
It is sad that there are many people out there who do not understand the responsibility involved with breeding.
I knew a wonderful woman who bred Labradors. She was very involved with obedience trials, conformation classes,etc, but was still a BYB in my opinion. Her dogs never placed and instead of trying to better her lines she kept doing the same breedings over and over hoping for a lucky hit. I tried gently telling her one day that maybe she would do better by selling them all and starting over with better foundation bitches.
She was polite when she said it would be too much money, and she didn't think her dogs were all that bad.
However, after that day she gradually started not answering my phone calls to chat. Bummed me out a bit as I liked her, but I guess she felt I overstepped my bounds by saying that to her.
So, I would hold back on slapping anyone as there are many naive people in regards to this.. Maybe suggest taking him to the shelter so he can see for himself all the animals that are needing homes so desperately.

Make sure to have a newspaper delivered to your home each day with the "Help Wanteds" circled.
First Tanner was listed as a GSD Mix at the shelter. Also, many shelters aren't used to seeing a Black GSD(It is an all breed shelter) and assumed he was mixed.But I have looked at pictures and read about GSDs and everything screams GSD. I was looking at possible breeds, and Norwegian elkhound looked like a possibility, but I talked to someone who was in the know about Norwegian Elkhounds, and offered to ask her friends and they said no he does not have Norwegian Elkhound in him. But that is not the point of this thread.

When I say he isn't of the standard its because he has faults and isn't a good specimen for breeding. There are many reasons why some purebred GSDs aren't of the standard. My girl Molly tail curls, she is rather small, and is from a BYB, and has an unknown background.

Second, Tanner is neutered. All the dogs that come the shelter he came from are fixed before leaving. I have no intentions of breeding at all, it is not for me. I believe I have said it in many posts that he is neutered. A man down the street for me offered to breed Molly with his male, but Molly is spayed. Usually the person offers before they know my dogs are altered.

Even if my dogs weren't altered, I would not breed them.

I thought my uncle knew he was neutered. I wouldn't really slap him either I basically taking my anger out in that expression. He knows I volunteer at a shelter, yet still told me this. He has no good intentions except for money. He does look at newspapers. He was just thinking of ways to get money,and breeding dogs is not a good one, especially if its just for money. If was dead serious, then I would talk him out of it, even if it meant yelling.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larien View Post
Send him here, specifically to Sue's thread, let him see what it's like to breed dogs.

Sounds like he doesn't even care what breed or even mix he creates, as long as he can sell cute puppies, and ignorant, uninformed people can't resist cute puppies. Very sad...

I don't know what to say as to what you should do, besides just keep encouraging him not to do it, and telling him Tanner is absolutely off limits. Good luck convincing him!
He was just thinking of ways to get money, which is the WRONG reason to breed. Yes, its sad that people fall for that. Whats worse is that he KNOWS I volunteer at a shelter. I would definitely show him Sue's thread. I even told him that there is more to breeding and he blew it off.

Tanner is definitely off limits. My uncle is a stubborn man and things get quickly heated when you start to argue with him. He is my mom's brother and if he did something she didn't approve of she has every right to kick him out, after all we are letting him stay with us.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Yeah I was gonna say I was pretty sure he was neutered anyway, lol...

My farrier got a female corgi not long after I got my male, I kind of think that's WHY he got her, to be honest; but anyway he asked me one day (while bent over with his butt in my face while he was working on one of my minis, lmao) if I'd be interested in breeding Cooper with his bitch. I was like, "Why?" and he just said, "well they'd make pretty pups and lots of people would want them." That attitude is so commonplace with people, because very few people know anything about what goes into breeding dogs. It's weird how they think it will be easy, and when going into any other business endeavor people do their research, but when it comes to dogs, hardly anyone does!

Oh and I did not breed Cooper with his corgi, lol, Coop is neutered too, and even if he wasn't, I wouldn't have done it, because his bitch was BYB, and while Cooper is actually a very nice corgi, I'm not interested in breeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larien View Post
Yeah I was gonna say I was pretty sure he was neutered anyway, lol...

My farrier got a female corgi not long after I got my male, I kind of think that's WHY he got her, to be honest; but anyway he asked me one day (while bent over with his butt in my face while he was working on one of my minis, lmao) if I'd be interested in breeding Cooper with his bitch. I was like, "Why?" and he just said, "well they'd make pretty pups and lots of people would want them." That attitude is so commonplace with people, because very few people know anything about what goes into breeding dogs. It's weird how they think it will be easy, and when going into any other business endeavor people do their research, but when it comes to dogs, hardly anyone does!

Oh and I did not breed Cooper with his corgi, lol, Coop is neutered too, and even if he wasn't, I wouldn't have done it, because his bitch was BYB, and while Cooper is actually a very nice corgi, I'm not interested in breeding.
Yep he is.lol

I was at dog park once and a couple told us we had such pretty dogs, and asked if they could have a puppy. My dad looked at them with a "what the?" face and I told them they are both fixed. Even if they were we wouldn't breed them.

Dogs are not materialistic things. You are dealing with lives. Its weird when people think that all you do is stick 2 dogs together and thats it. Nope there is research, health testing, more research, titling, more research, the birth, after the birth etc. Breeding is just not for me.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD

Last edited by Jessiewessie99; 01-30-2011 at 01:35 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 AM

It is hard to tell at times when reading something typed out what the true "tone" is of the author.
I probably should have put a smiley face after I said don't slap anyone as I was kidding around about that.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Personally, I think he was just jerking your chain. Still a good reason to want to slap him....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

My cousin is a BYB of black labs. I'm not thrilled with this, and she's been doing it for years. Too bad you can't pick your family.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page