I have to neuter and don't want to - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I have to neuter and don't want to

It just seems so unnecessary. Duke is two, does not hump, only plays with our other male dog, and is very well trained.

The problem is none of the kennels we like will take a dog that is not fixed. We are taking a family week plus vaca soon and I think I will have to do it. There are kennels, but he would be crated or segregated in some way from the other dogs which seems cruel because he just will want to play and should.

I need some therapy on this. It just seems pointless to snip him for this reason only. Please give me something else we are not thinkIng about. No Plans to breed.

Last edited by Duke-2009; 01-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Master Member

Put an advertisement out on craigs list for a dog sitter.

Requiring spay or neutering for a dog staing at a day care facility is pretty much sop.

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:21 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If you don't want to neuter him, you shouldn't feel like you have to because boarding kennels require it. Have you checked with all the kennels in your area? You may need to drive a bit to find one.

If your local LE units have K-9's, ask where the officers board their dogs when the officers have to be away, or if they can give you some suggestions as to where to look.

Or contact a local GSD club, or any other dog breed club that would have members involved in coformation showing and ask how they deal with finding a boarding kennel if they need to board their dogs.

I used to be asked about neutering each time I went to the vet. Each time I politely answered that my dog will not be neutered. After a couple of years they gave up and stopped asking! But it is really up to you, and you should not feel pressured into doing something you are not comfortable with.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

You're right, it does seem pointless to neuter him just to able to play with others. But if you like the kennel that much, it wouldn't kill him to be segregated for a week or so.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Knighted Member

Have you tried looking at GSD/working dog breeders or trainers in your area. Sometimes those type of places may also do boarding.

Not accepting intact dogs is not unusual for many boarding facilities. Or charging extra.

But there may be other options. I have used Kayla's breeder in the past. Kayla is spayed, Lancer is still intact at the moment. And I now use our trainer who also boards. No issues with either that one is an intact male dog.

Good luck in your search.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Reasons I can see for segregating an intact male (or female for that matter) during boarding -- less chance of dog fight, less chance of breeding. = less liability for the kennel.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Elite Member

I agree that you shouldn't feel pressured to have an elective surgery performed on your dog because of boarding kennel rules. I'm actually pretty surprised boarding kennels are now requiring dogs to be neutered, although it is common at daycares (IMO such rules are due to ignorance more than anything). As has been pointed out, there are other options for boarding or having your dogs looked after while you're away.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I am pretty sure the reasoning at the kennel we like more has to do with consideration fornthe other dogs and the owners not wanting little Suzy poodle to be mounted over and over for a week. I kind if get this.

My trainer would gladly take him, but, the experience is far different than the kennel, daycare, and groomer (same place) we use for our other dog and to groom duke. My trainer has fenced in runs. Probably twelve in a row with half under shelter and half outside. Usually all German shepherds each to his or her own run. They are segregated and bark all day. I doubt he ever takes a few out and let's them play together. A week of this for duke makes me ill thinking about it. I know, they are dogs, they will be fine, but it is the compete opposite experience.

I have a decision to make and I will do some research. Hopefully I can find a good place tontake him in tact. He is a big baby.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-2009 View Post
Thanks all. I am pretty sure the reasoning at the kennel we like more has to do with consideration fornthe other dogs and the owners not wanting little Suzy poodle to be mounted over and over for a week. I kind if get this.
That happens with neutered dogs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-2009 View Post
My trainer would gladly take him, but, the experience is far different than the kennel, daycare, and groomer (same place) we use for our other dog and to groom duke. My trainer has fenced in runs. Probably twelve in a row with half under shelter and half outside. Usually all German shepherds each to his or her own run. They are segregated and bark all day. I doubt he ever takes a few out and let's them play together. A week of this for duke makes me ill thinking about it. I know, they are dogs, they will be fine, but it is the compete opposite experience.

I have a decision to make and I will do some research. Hopefully I can find a good place tontake him in tact. He is a big baby.
Are you sure that your dog will enjoy group play style boarding? Your GSD is young but as GSDs mature, they tend to not want to socialize with strange dogs much. So neutered or not, he will likely get to a point where this type of boarding wouldn't be an option anyway. What about pet sitters?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

If you don't want to neuter your dog, I definitely wouldn't do it just to kennel him. College student, teen neighbor, family member, somebody from church? Anyone who can stay at your home with your dog? Most churches and community associations put out newsletters with ads for people who offer such services. That way you could get some references and it wouldn't be like a complete stranger. I think keeping him home would be the best option. A GSD always does better in his own home.

In past years, I have put my girl in a very nice kennel, while I was away. She did well until last summer, when she was 12. Her condition deteriorated so much. No way will I ever kennel her again. My in-laws will be staying at my house with her next summer. She is 13. Kennels also require shots. Old girl isn't getting any more shots. We are done with kennels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page