Has your dog ever saved your life? Rescue story - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thumbs up Has your dog ever saved your life? Rescue story

I know this story is not about a GSD but I hope it will compel others to adopt. My family received Teddy from an abusive situation, he came to us with many scars, both emotional and physical. I was in second grade. We worked with him through his issues, and I admit as a child I sustained physical scars (on my arms mainly from grooming issues) from this dog, but I never told my parents. He bit my sister and I remember discussions whether they should put the dog down. I remember hugging his neck and crying that he was "my dog" and nobody else could touch him. Fortunately for him, and us, my parents held back on that decision.

One day while walking through the woods, Teddy pushed past me and started attacking a rock. Biting and jumping. I thought he went crazy and ran home and told my parents. My father discovered a dead copperhead body on the rock that he attacked. That rock was right in my normal path. When I was 9 years old, Teddy possibly saved my life.

Years later I remember playing on my culdesac street when three dogs approached me growling. I remember a strange tan dog attacking me and when its jaws were inches from my face, I saw a brown blur. Teddy had come through his electric fence, and attacked the three dogs, not only saving me and my sister from bodily harm, but possibly further harm. From my mother's recount and the police report, the three dogs were pit-bull mixes that were trained to attack. He later re-created this action by attacking a neighbors pit bull that came into our yard and was sneaking up behind me. I personally know my neighbor was training this dog to attack people.

Rescues will come to you with a variety of issues. Working through those issues will test your patience and sometimes you may question whether you have bit off more than you can chew. If you stick it out the rewards will be much greater than you ever could have imagined. I still miss my Teddy Bear, he slept with me every night and got me through many tough times. I know many people on this forum have adopted and some have questioned that commitment. I just wish to say, hang in there. You will never regret your decision.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Knighted Member

Jazmine is our pup bought off the side of the road, she hasn't saved me from immediate danger per say, she did however stop three attempted break ins on our house a few years back. She went berserk and the guy bolted, not after damaging my door and windows, but without her, those nights could have gone completely different.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I honestly await the day when Freyja feels that she needs to protect her house. You don't know the intentions of the people if they were not deferred by Jazmine's barking. She's a hero in my book.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Master Member

I have owned one dog that could have quite possibly saved my life. Her name was Ninja and she was a blue heeler. I was a teenager at the time, and we were at our ranch working cattle. I wandered a little too far out into the pasture and a little too close to a really bad tempered brangus bull. The bull dropped his head, crashed through the mesquite thicket straight towards me and kept coming. I turned and started running back towards the pickup which was a good 75 yds away. The bull was only about 20 ft behind me and closing fast, there was no way I was going to make it back to the safety of the truck before being run down and gored. Ninja had been herding cattle on the opposite side of the truck but somehow sensed something was going on. In a flash, that dog covered 100 yds of thick pasture, shot straight past me, and hit that bull like a sledge hammer. I've never witnessed such violence from a dog. She had grabbed the bull by the nose, tucked her legs, and thrashed until the bull went end over end and she still refused to release. That bull drug her a good 30 ft before she let go and returned to my side, shaking like a leaf. If a dog has ever come close to saving my life, that was definately the time.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Knighted Member

Dharma saved my life but not in the way you would expect. Last summer I got fired from my job. The reason was stupid and basically it came down to that they just didn't like me and I was on probation so they canned me. It was the most humiliating, devastating, frightening experience of my life. I didn't have much in savings and what I did have went quick and I was having trouble finding another job. One day I sat in my garage, smoked a cigarette and just started bawling. Dharma sat in front of me and looked at me. I started to seriously contemplate suicide. And as a nurse I would not screw it up. I was going to turn my car on and just sit in the garage, just go to sleep. Then I wouldn't have to worry about losing my house, trying to find another job, how I was going to pay the electric bill, none of it. About that time Dharma leaned her face into mine and started to lick my face and tears. She then laid her head on my lap and looked up at me into my eyes like she was saying "don't cry mom, I love you". At that point, all I could think was that if I died, who would take care of her? Would she end up scared and alone in a shelter. How long before someone found me? How long would she be alone with my body, trying to wake me up, hungry and worried because I wouldn't get up. I realized then that no matter how bad things were I had to hang in there for her. She needed me and she counted on me to take care of her and love her and nobody could do it as good as I can. So I held on.

And you know what, I finally got a job and it is a better job that pays a whole lot more. I am gone more but at least I don't have to worry about how I am going to make ends meet each paycheck now and there is extra money for toys and treats for my girl.

So yeah, she saved my life, even if it wasn't intentional.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Crowned Member

Not me but I have a friend who was attacked by a dog when she was a kid. Her grandmother's German Shepherd protected her from the other dog and may have saved her life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Master Member

Ever seen "Old Yeller"?

It happened in our family, probably about 80 years ago.

My grandpa was attacked by a sow when he was a young man. Their GSD they had at the time jumped into the pen, and got the hog off of him. He ended up with a shreded pant leg, and a large gash in the the calf of his leg. Had it not been for the dog, he quite possibly would have gotten killed. The dog was unscathed.

Yea Buddy!

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

My dog thinks he has saved my life on a few occasions. He pulled me away from the high surf at the beach, pulled me away from the fire in the fireplace, and from my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I have no doubt that if I was really in danger, he would save me.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
My dog thinks he has saved my life on a few occasions. He pulled me away from the high surf at the beach, pulled me away from the fire in the fireplace, and from my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I have no doubt that if I was really in danger, he would save me.

Those things are very dangerous!!! Wolfie has saved your lives almost daily from things you silly humans don't even realize are dangerous!! It's a good thing you have him. You might not have made it this long if it wasn't for him!

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM

I don't have anything to add just wanted to say that you made my morning with your heroic pup's actions wolfiesmom! Hahaha I love that. What a good boy

Lindsey

S Frankie v. Baerental
9-19-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page