Coat texture? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Coat texture?

Hi all, was wondering if you could shed some light on a question my son and I were asked the other day.
My son and I were at the dog park with shadow, when one of Shadow's friends and his owner showed up (male 3 yr old GSD). Both dogs were happily playing for a while, when the guy asked if Shadow had been itchy near her shoulders lately? No she hasn't. His dog has been itchy lately, he thought perhaps it was the recently mowed grass at the park.
Then he asked it Shadow gets brushed much. No Shadow admittedly hadn't been brushed in a while. He has to brush his dog daily.
His dog then came over to me and I was scratching it's butt, I made a comment on how much smaller his dogs butt was than Shadow's (kinda boney to, lol) Shadow then walked over towards this guy and he reached down to see if he could grab a tuft of her fur, I think like maybe one or two hairs came loose and that was it. He commented that if he does the same thing to his dog he would get a handful of loose hair. He then went on to ask why Shadow's hair is so much better than his dogs? It seams both dogs get fed almost the same thing.
Shadow's hair is very very thick, very soft not very wirery at all and very shiney, she doesn't lose a lot of hair either- not in comparison to other shepherds we've met. I wouldn't say she is exactly short coated sort of medium (defiantly not long coat) her hair is very thick. This other shepherd and another one I know both have the same length hair, not quite as thick and no where near as soft or glossy. Why is this so?
Stupid question I know, but if I can pass some tips on that would be great. We don't know anything about Shadow's heritage (byb)
What type of coat would this give Shadow and or the other shepherds based on my description? There is a pic of Shadow in a thread called "Shadow at the dog beach" if you want to have a look.
Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

anyone?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

I'm certainly no expert...but it could be a number of things. Some dogs do better on certain foods, while other dogs still lack. It sounds to me that Shadow's friend isn't gettig the nutrition it's body is needing to produce a healthy coat. It could be alergies to the food or enviroment etc. When Hondo was on a food with grain, his coat sounded much like Shadow's friend. Hondo itched constantly. When I switched to a grain free food, there was a dramatic change.

I hope someone with much more knowledge jumps on...this was just my experiance.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Knighted Member

Also dogs do not blow coat at the same time. His dog could be blowing right now and Shadow isn't. None of mine blow at the same time. I have one short stock coat and she sheds the least. The two plush coats blow a couple of times a year but never in sync with each other.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

thank you.
He was originally on Artemis which I believe is grain free as well as freshly cooked meat. His vet has told him to cut back on the protein so he has now been switched to some other dry food as well as the fresh cooked stuff. He said his coat has always been like this.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Does he give oils/vitamins along with the kibble he feeds? Some GSD's have a harsher coat, but all three of mine have soft coats and all three have different lengths. I don't get handfuls of fur when I run my hand down their back(which happens when I pet friends dogs) my dogs are rawfed and get salmon oil along with vitamins daily. I think an oil supplement makes the difference!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Couldn't there just be genetic differences between animals, with some having the background for nicer coats and others not so nice?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Different dogs, different coats. Even among related dogs you can see coat variation. Argos and Tag have almost the same coat texture, Tag's is just slightly longer/more plush. Anka's coat is almost wavy along her back and coarse. When she blows her coat it almost comes off in a big sheet like you sheered a sheep. I should try and get a picture because there is a definite line where he coat comes and goes. And Cade's coat is short but dense, and very soft. When he blows coats he doesn't really tuft, just sort of dumps all this fuzz. They all eat the same thing. Just different by nature I guess.

Being able to pull tufts would tell me the dog might be blowing coat.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in