Runners with German Shepherds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Runners with German Shepherds?

Hi everybody I just joined this forum yesterday, and I have to say this is a GREAT forum!

Anyways, I'm currently a college student and I would consider myself pretty active; I run track here. I am looking to get a German Shepherd hopefully over the summer where I will be able to spend long hours with him/her without being out at classes and practice.

One benefit of being on the track team is that one of the runners that graduated last year had a weimaraner that would hang out with us during practice. He would run with us when he wanted, and when he grew tired, he would sleep in the shade. And nobody had to worry because the practice field was surrounded by a 10 foot high chain link fence to keep out drunk undergrads. I'm hoping i can bring my future dog to do the same

I was wondering if any of you run with your German Shepherds, in particular people from Southern California. How much do you run with him/her? I go to school in the inland empire, where it is crazy hot. Do you think it would be okay for my future gsd to be running in temps above 80 degrees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

I think as long as the dog wasn't on a leash being made to run, he'd be fine. If he was able to run a while, and then go get a drink of water and lay down when he felt hot or tired there probably wouldn't be a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmster View Post
Hi everybody I just joined this forum yesterday, and I have to say this is a GREAT forum!

Anyways, I'm currently a college student and I would consider myself pretty active; I run track here. I am looking to get a German Shepherd hopefully over the summer where I will be able to spend long hours with him/her without being out at classes and practice.

One benefit of being on the track team is that one of the runners that graduated last year had a weimaraner that would hang out with us during practice. He would run with us when he wanted, and when he grew tired, he would sleep in the shade. And nobody had to worry because the practice field was surrounded by a 10 foot high chain link fence to keep out drunk undergrads. I'm hoping i can bring my future dog to do the same

I was wondering if any of you run with your German Shepherds, in particular people from Southern California. How much do you run with him/her? I go to school in the inland empire, where it is crazy hot. Do you think it would be okay for my future gsd to be running in temps above 80 degrees?
I live in So Cal, and I run two miles with my GSD. I run in 80 degree weather all the time, just watch for over heating and provide water and you should be fine I don't let him drink more than a sip or two when he's really panting, I wait until his tongue is back in his mouth and his breathing is back to normal. I also worked him up to the distance and heat.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

laying in the shade would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I think as long as the dog wasn't on a leash being made to run, he'd be fine. If he was able to run a while, and then go get a drink of water and lay down when he felt hot or tired there probably wouldn't be a problem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member

You can run in temps like that so long as your dog is used to it and you keep a close eye on him to make sure he's not over heating. I will hose my dog off before and after a run or a workout when it's hot out to try and keep his temp down.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Keep logs

The same way you keep track of your runs, log your dog's runs too including the temperature. How far they can run is not linearly related to temp. By keeping track of it, you can have a good idea of what your dog is comfortable with. FWIW, my dog can barely do a 5k when it starts hitting 75-80. A good side effect is that you can also track injuries and mileage on the paws. All handy info is you need to adjust the dog's schedule.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

If you get a dog this summer I would wait until he/she is at least 5 months to ease into it. Give the dog time to get a good foundation without stress. I always use the length of my dog's tongue (as indicated above) as an internal temperature gauge and make sure it's not lolling about for very long before I rest her. Listen for the rapidity of his/her panting also. They can breathe in and out a lot faster than we can but test the recovery period often to make sure of a good recovery rate.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM

i live in 29 palms, my husband is a marine, and we have a 5 month old gsd and she is perfectly fine in the heat though our weather in the summer is usually around 110-120 degrees. i just make sure to give her plenty of cold yummy water!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page