Judge Judy pit bull case today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Judge Judy pit bull case today

Judge judy ruled in favor of the defendant today in a case where Lab on a retractable leash was attacked while walking by a lady with 2 leashed Pit Bulls .
Judge J said she couldn't fault the lady with the Pit Bulls because she initially had the pits on a leash under her control vs Lab lady was on a retract leash (I hate those leashes) and that the extra 2 ft of leash didn't imply control over her Lab dog.

My question is : To me if a person could not pull her on dogs off or away from another dog do they really have real control over the dogs?

Agree or disagree? Tell me your reasoning ?

(This is for interest and discussion only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

[EDIT] Removed. I totally misread your post...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

Nothing wrong with retractable leashes - the issue as always is irresponsible owners. It is irresponsible to allow your dog to go up to random dogs, leashed or not. I didn't see the show but would say it sounds like the Lab owner wasn't controlling the dog, which is what led to the fight. I absolutely don't see how the APBT owner would be at fault for the Lab owner's failure to control her dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Master Member

Having had first hand experience with keeping bullies.... I would say the pit's were not being closely enough controlled. I have not seen the episode being refrenced, but I think it would be a tough call. The rectracable leash isn't not a very solid way of controlling a dog either, but then again, a lab is less likely to be agressive unprovoked than a pitbull. Two pit's on cable tieouts won't even contain those dogs.

Pitbulls have a shorter temper and are more likely to do some damage. I can easly visualize a woman (even a heavy woman) being taken out for a brisk drag by a couple pits. (imagine a woman flapping in the breeze behind a couple of dogs on a dead run) Should have never happened.

Walking any number of multiple dogs on leash isn't very wize if you can't restrain them. I take my two pyrs out, but I am fully aware that the two of them could take me out for a brisk drag since the combined pulling power of the two of them is close to 500 lbs.

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Last edited by Davey Benson; 01-25-2011 at 09:55 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Master Member

if you are with your dogs, and can't get them away from another dog, you do not have control over the dog- no matter what kind of a leash they are on.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

She made the right call. Owners should not be held liable if someone decides to let their dog approach your dog without permission.

There's nothing wrong with retractable leashes. I use a 26 foot one. When there's nobody around, my dog can move about freely. If I see someone walking by themselves or with a dog, I can either physically reel in my dog, or just call him to me and then lock the retractable leash so he only has a foot of leash left. I've seen people walking their dogs irresponsibly even with 6 foot leashes.

Where I live, letting a retractable leash extend beyond 6 feet is illegal. If your dog is not on a leash that is a maximum of 6 feet in length, it's considered off-leash and you'll get a ticket(if the officers cared, that is). But if that case was where I lived, the owner of the lab would have easily been at fault and also be slapped with a fine for having a dog off-leash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&Skylar View Post
if you are with your dogs, and can't get them away from another dog, you do not have control over the dog- no matter what kind of a leash they are on.
That's what I should have said.

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

@Davey and King, That's my feeling. I was surprised that she didn't have them split the cost as she has in the past. but she clearly explained it was because the Pit owner had them on a leash (under control)
I will give you an example of why I am curious: I adopted my Great Dane (in 2000) and found out quickly that he had issues. I had him ON A SHORT LEASH and I told the kid to go away but she kept walking toward us fast and Max leaped forward to bite her. I side tackled him because he was already 7ft long and I took him down fast.
Now since I had him ON A LEASH, and he had actually attacked her, I wouldn't be at fault for not keeping my dog under control?
I believe if I am out with my dog that I am fully responsible for said dogs actions.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Knighted Member

The woman with two pits had them on leashes and sitting beside her when the 40lb mix breed came up and bit one of them. The mix started something it couldn't finish and its owner was whiny that she got caught with an out of control dog.

Though in the beginning you could tell that the judge really, REALLY wanted to find a reason to award the owner her vet bills in the beginning of the case.

Judge Judy is very anti-pit bull and anti-Rottweiler.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I think most people are, its a shame; since many little dogs bite, but few are reported compared to larger breeds ( In my opinion)
I have worked in shelters and have been bite many times by little yappy dogs ! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page