Update on my adopting Nick out of WV - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Update on my adopting Nick out of WV

Well, funny how things can change...
What happened was Nick was absolutely wonderful when he first came out. I gave him treats, he seemed absolutely fine, I even got a little lick on my hand.
About 15-20minutes later while sitting at their table that was set up, I went to bend over to grab the toy I had brought for Nick. All of the sudden, I sensed something. I looked up and Nick was only about 4 inches away from my face. I looked at him thinking "Something is very wrong with his expression, it just changed", and with that he was snarling and showing all his teeth and acting like he was about to lunge at me.
I jumped back and Amanda yanked him towards her. Well,. needless to say, there is no way I could take him now. I was shocked at how fast this guy turned.
I don't know if it is because I was bending down towards his new toy I gave him, if it was beacuse I was looking at him and he felt challenged, I am not sure. However, it scared me enough that I said I was going to have to pass. That was so out of the blue and no warning nor reason.
So, after me sitting there and crying a bit because I felt so sad for him, and disappointed, they asked me if I wanted to see Sonny. Sonny had been with Nick at the abuser's home too. At first I said no and that I would leave a donation and just go back home, but after sitting there for a bit, I told them to go ahead and bring him out.
TOTALLY different dog. Full of energy, and kissy kissy on my face. After being there with him a while and walking him outside, I knew that him and I would end up being great pals.
He was not neutered, so while I was waiting for my hotel room to become available, I called the vet out by my home for an appointment to get him fixed (next Thursday morning 1st avail) rabies, and also to get him micro-chipped. I asked the women there how he was in regards to other animals, etc. So they brought out one of their docile ones, and he was absolutely fine wanting to play. This guy needs obedience classes FAST as well as a bath! P.U!
Weird how 2 dogs at the same abusive house have 2 totally different temperaments. So now, we are sitting in the hotel room. He had sniffed around for a few minutes and is now laying at my feet and is totally calm. I will be posting pics as he doesn't look PB to me but GS and Corgi? Amanda from the shelter said that his owner said he was a PB and from some top hard to get lines from Europe. She rolled her eyes when she told me that. She agreed with what I thought. He looks like a Shepherd and Corgi mix.
I will take pics and post later, but for right now my boy is going to have dinner I brought for him and me some pizza that was delivered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry Nick didn't work out...I hope someone will step up and help him.
Congrats on saying yes to Sonny! I look forward to pics!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Congrats on your new addition!

I'm glad you spent some time with Nick and went with what you felt was best even if it was hard to do.

A Shepherd/Corgi mix would be very interesting. Is he tall? Can't wait to see pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Knighted Member

Congrats on Sonny. It just was not meant to be with Nick. You have to go with your instincts and if you were frightened of him then he was not the dog for you. Good luck with Sonny and I can't wait to see his pics!

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)

Last edited by JustMeLeslie; 01-25-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Crowned Member

Good for you for being able to take a step back and change your mind. Sounds like Sonny will be a great dog for you. Please keep us posted!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

I'm glad Sonny picked you! Sorry it didn't work out with Nick but it sounds as though he needs a different setting than you could give him. I agree with Emoore- a lot of people would have taken him out of guilt with false hopes and it wouldn't have been the best for either one of you.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Since Sonny went through the same abusive situation and has such a good disposition, it sounds like he is probably a very sound dog. Sounds like adopting him is going to be very fortunate for both of you. Congratulations!!! I think you were very, very wise not to try to rehab Nick. Some dogs are not mentally sound to begin with (JMO), and, just possibly, that might be the case with Nick. You are giving Sonny a really excellent home, and he sounds like he is so deserving of one. He could easily have ended up with just a mediocre home if you hadn't adopted him. Can't wait for pics!

I've had two rescue dogs. One was the most wonderful dog, my Wilhoit, a GSD. We did everything together, he was sweet and gentle, loved learning to do things with me, and was even a good guard (only when necessary). He passed recently of EPI and I'm still not up to introducing him in the Welcome or RIP section. The other rescue was assessed by two vets a few months after I was given her. They both gave her two separate temperament tests and concluded she was so dangerous she should be put down immediately. A rescue which specialized in her breed told me the same thing. It is JMO, but I think sometimes there are some dogs that it is better not to try to rehab. I think you did a great job in choosing such a promising rescue!

Last edited by Wilhoit; 01-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM

I also commend you for going in with your eyes wide open, I'm so sorry it didn't work out with Nick But I am glad you are coming home with a new friend! I think I saw a pic of him on their website, just a head shot? he did look somewhat like corgi/gsd, either way, he needed a good home to, and I'm glad you took him..

Can't wait to see pics!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Elite Member

Update on Nick from WV shelter

Here is the link to Sonny's two shelter photos.

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Fairmont, WV | SONNY

Shannon from WV
new mom to rescued GSD "Max"
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM
liv

Oh, he is so cute!! He does look like someone put a corgi head on a GSD I'm glad you were able to get the right dog for you. Sounds like he is ready for some serious loving!

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page