If a disaster struck what would happen to your dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
If a disaster struck what would happen to your dogs?

If a disaster struck what would you do? Would you take them with you? Or leave them there? What if you couldn't take them with you? Or if no one was home at the time what then?

I would find some way to take my dogs with me. I'd take my cat, but honsetly I probably wouldn't be able to fnd her and take her so I'd have to leave her there and hope she got out. If I wasnt home I'd call my neighbor and have them break in to get my dogs out.

What would you do to ensure your pets safety?

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

That would depend on the disaster. During hurricane Ike we stayed at our house. Too many animals to attempt to rehome everyone during the storm. Had the dogs in kennels in the house. When the storm hit, moved everyone to the hallway.

We moved the horses to a friend's show barn, which is made partial of concrete.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Master Member

I'd take them with me. If i couldn't take them, i'd stay with them. I'd make sure I could get to them.
We actually had a huge forest fire here a couple of years ago. It was fairly close to our home, me, my dad and the rest of our family were at my brothers baseball game when we were evacuated. We snuck around the blocked off roads through a backroad to get home to get the dogs. Most terrifying moment of my life, but I don't know what i would have done if I wasn't able to get them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

We live on top of a hill that only a flood of biblical proportions would take out. The only real natural disaster we could face is a tornado, and those are rare in this part of the country. Yes, I would find a way to take my dogs with me, or find a safe place with family or friends if there wasn't a way.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Knighted Member

I think about that all the time, like Lilie said it depends on the disaster. I have a stash of bottled water and canned food, I try to avoid running out of dry food, I buy a back up before I am out. I could never leave them, I'd rather risk my life by staying with them. I have to get life preservers but I have those noodles (I think thats what they are called long foam things for a pool) I could easily rig them up as life preservers. My horses are never locked in the barn, if I had to I would set them free. I guess I worry about flooding. Unfortunately living on Long Island you have to come to the realization that you could never get off this island at least not quickly.
If I were not home I would get there or die trying.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Knighted Member

If I can't take them with me then I would stay with them. Fortunately I don't live anywhere close to a river so I don't worry about flooding, tornadoes are a rarity but you stay home during them anyway and hurricanes come inland sometimes but we always ride them out. But if something did happen where there was a mandatory evacuation then they would be loaded in the care and they would go with me. No way would I leave any of them behind. And if my house caught fire, well, I don't leave the burning building until they are with me. They are my babies, not "just animals" to me and no way would I leave them somewhere to die. No way, No how.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Master Member

Disasters don't strike at my place.

But in a disaster scenario...

I have no other human family, my dogs are my family. Need I say more?

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
DnP
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
We live on top of a hill that only a flood of biblical proportions would take out. The only real natural disaster we could face is a tornado, and those are rare in this part of the country. Yes, I would find a way to take my dogs with me, or find a safe place with family or friends if there wasn't a way.
Like Jax, if our place were to be flooded, we'd be looking for the ark.

We do have snow issues here, but we'd be hunkering down with the dog. Because we are far enough away from family, we'd be sticking together. My first, and really only, choice is to take dog with us.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

everyone gets loaded into the van and/or the xterra and if we have to sleep in the vehicles then we sleep in the vehicles but i wont leave them behind. They are family. flooding, well i would have no issue stealing a boat for survival of my kids and my furkids. tornado, cats and dogs get crated as close to a safe area in the house as possible. Hurricane... well depends on what happens. Staying home or stealing a boat when its safe to go outside.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
+ 1

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page