Is my dog too thin? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Is my dog too thin?

I saw the chubby puppy thread, so I thought I would start one my own.

My dog is a rescue dog with some health issues, that I'm trying to get all cleared up. Since she was rescued from a bad environment, I don't know her exact age, I'm guessing somewhere just a little over two perhaps. I know she's had a litter just not long before I adopted her. (her nipples were still very large when I adopted her)

Anyway, her last weigh in this past week was 72 lbs. She's been gaining weight with every check in, but slowly, very slowly. My vet doesn't think she is too underweight. But I see the muscular pictures of GSD's on this site, and I look at my Callee and I can count the ribs, and just about see the back vertibre. So, what is your opinions? By the way, I tried to get some good photos, but they just didn't come out very well.

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I should add, she is currently on heartguard max, so she should have no internal parisites, I have her on a high fat and calorie diet. (I've just reciently added satin balls several times a day to give her weight a jump start) I haven't observed any sign of allergies. She seems to have good energy, and nice stools.

"outside of a dog a book is mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah she looks kinda thin, especially in the last 2 pics-- but some of that could be the muscle tone, if she needs to build muscle. With poor muscle, the bones stick out more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Master Member

yeah she is on the thin side
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
Yeah she looks kinda thin, especially in the last 2 pics-- but some of that could be the muscle tone, if she needs to build muscle. With poor muscle, the bones stick out more.

i agree. build some muscle on her. She's not TOO thin but she is thin. I would definitely agree with muscle building, possibly some uphill walks at a normal pace unless she can handle a quicker pace. I would take a wild guess and say 75 -78lbs is probably ideal for her in regards to weight. Otherwise she's looks good.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
She's too thin, but you're working to put weight on her so I wouldn't beat myself up over it.

I have a girl that's too thin, but you can't tell because she's a long haired and it hides it for us, probiotics and enzymes were what really helped. But she also had intermittent diarrhea from needing the enzymes. I also added olive oil daily to up calories and fat content. But satin balls are doing that for you right now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Banned

She looks to be a slender dog and she doesn't have much of a waistline so, in that regard, she doesn't look thin. But the last 2 pics show ribs and hip bones so she must be too thin. What are you feeding her? Hopefully it is a high calorie, high quality grain free food like Orijen, Wellness, TOTW or Acana (obviously, there are many more good ones). Is she getting exercise to build muscle and appetite? Good luck and blessings on you for taking in a rescue.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

OK, weight vs muscle tone. I bet you all are right, she was rescued from an environment where she was cabled 24/7. So she has not had the excersize that she has needed. Also she has been tested as positive for heartworm. (did the blood work on her when I first got her) I'm allowing her to do as she wishes currently, she starts her shot treatments next month, then she won't be allowed to run around for a while, so good bye muscle tone then. Hopefully I will have her in good enough health to pull through that well. I had her spayed last week. (I don't breed)

I just rattled off those photos last night. The bottom two pictures more accurately reflect what I see when I look at her.

I did have her on Diamond brand High energy formula, which is what I have all my other dogs on. I know it's not the best food, but according to the indipendent dog food review, it's not the bottom of the list either, it's sort of mid grade. She did ok on it, but I didn't like the look of her stools, they were too soft, so I switched her over to TOTW High Prairie. It seems to be agreeing with her digestive track a little better. Her problem is she's a nibbler, she won't sit down and wolf down 2-4 cups in one sitting like the other dogs do. So I feed her what she will eat in the morning, shove satin balls into her all day (she seems to really like those) and then at night she has a crate, and it has a water and food dispenser in it so she can slurp and nibble all night. (funny olive oil was mentioned, I added a little of that to the satin ball receipe)

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
To me she looks like she could gain a couple pounds, but i like my dogs on the thin side where you see ribs, and feel then easily; (but not so much ribs that they look malnourished). I'd defiantly build more muscle on her though

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

Bless you for adopting a heart worm positive dog! Yes, she'll lose any semblance of muscle tone during that treatment and might gain a bit of fat too. When she's done you can start working on her physical condition with some uphill walking and maybe even swimming!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page