Husband needs training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Husband needs training

So I have had Sasha in training with this new dog trainer for 4 weeks now. She is making huge changes in her behavior as am I. Much of the training I already knew and have used in the past but I was getting very lazy. I have realized I am falling lazy since I can't get my husband in the routine lol not really blaming him (I picked him) but I can't get him to follow the instructions for behavior modification in Sasha.
When all four dogs are acting crazy, he reacts by being more obnoxious and I can't get him to just say the word No calmly..he has to talk loudly and angrily at the dogs or yell and push them out of the way. I know he is frustrated ( and frustrating at times). I am the only one who cares for the dogs... weekly bathing,weekly washing of crates and bedding, brushing...you know the drill.
so any suggestions to coax him to get with the program would be appreciated. The one dog he has, as his own, he neglects as far as training or social interaction away from me. I guess its my fault lol but any help would be great! Any way,thanks for letting me vent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Knighted Member

convince him to go to ob classes with you. He may learn better ways to control the dogs

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystyne73 View Post
So I have had Sasha in training with this new dog trainer for 4 weeks now. She is making huge changes in her behavior as am I. Much of the training I already knew and have used in the past but I was getting very lazy. I have realized I am falling lazy since I can't get my husband in the routine lol not really blaming him (I picked him) but I can't get him to follow the instructions for behavior modification in Sasha.
When all four dogs are acting crazy, he reacts by being more obnoxious and I can't get him to just say the word No calmly..he has to talk loudly and angrily at the dogs or yell and push them out of the way. I know he is frustrated ( and frustrating at times). I am the only one who cares for the dogs... weekly bathing,weekly washing of crates and bedding, brushing...you know the drill.
so any suggestions to coax him to get with the program would be appreciated. The one dog he has, as his own, he neglects as far as training or social interaction away from me. I guess its my fault lol but any help would be great! Any way,thanks for letting me vent!
if he's food motivated.......a T-bone steak and a cold beer.

if he's praise motivated.....tell him how very proud and lucky you are to have a hubby as great as him.

if he's treat motivated......well, this goes without saying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Knighted Member

Tell him he isn't allowed to speak to the dogs unless he is willing to learn how to do so. Then when the dogs are misbehaving you step in before he can even become irritated and diffuse the situation right away.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Master Member

I would tell him, maybe he's the reason the dogs aren't behaving well. They can sense when you are frustrated. I've always been told to walk away when your frustrated. Take a breather and come back. When I do that, everything goes as smooth as a babies butt!

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

@Zoey, that is what I have started doing but he gets mad at me then lol I should mention my husband has MS and his meds make him confused, so I try to be patient but it is important to me that the dogs stay on course.
@Razin ha ha I get u and I might need to do that!
@MissMolly I asked the trainer about that in the beginning and he was worried Sasha might be further confused since it was a prey drive-aggression thing everything was distracting her. He might be able to now!

I think my husband needs walks as bad as the dogs LOL but he never goes with us.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Is there any way you can sit him down and have a heart to heart talk about what you want him to start doing? Just be honest and share your feelings, you really could use the help with the dogs, you've put in a ton of effort and as your partner in life he should do the same. You're really doing a lot of work, and his lack of contribution must be kind of hurtful to you, and if it is, let him know that. Marriage is a partnership, he needs to be open to cooperating with you on this and at least just implement what the trainer taught you instead of just being dismissive and kind of immature about the whole thing. He should have respect for what you're trying to do.

I hope you can get through to him because honestly if you don't, things will never be 100% with the dogs. They need to know that BOTH of you are serious.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

I think most of us with husbands could post a thread like this.

I love my husband like crazy and he's grown up with and knows a great deal about dogs, but sometimes he just drives me up the wall. I think there's some sort of male ADD going on where he simply cannot remember some things ... like that the command for sending the dog off the couch is OFF and not DOWN. Or that you don't leave your food on the living room table and then walk out of the room, expecting the dog to ignore the juicy steak.

But honestly, just explain to him what methods you are learning and how they work, and that he's not helping when he uses something different because it interferes with the consistency. Dogs need consistency from both of you, not just one of you, otherwise it's very confusing to THEM.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks! good to know I am not the only one. I have him pretty "trained" on the off not down but he seems to get flustered if the dogs don't respond to him right away then he loses all awareness of the words and actions to use for training. I talked to him about it, but mostly likely, I'll be having this conversation weekly. hahaha
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Knighted Member

Unfortunately after 21 years there are still so many things I have not been able to train my husband to do (or not to do). Most things he gets, but when it comes to the dogs he hasn't "progressed". I haven't given up on him, I just need to find a way that he doesn't think its my obsession. Maybe I could start using a clicker with him.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page