Question about first heat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Question about first heat

Shasta started blowing coat the second week in December. About three weeks ago, I noticed her teats were swollen. But we've still seen no bleeding. When would we normally expect this to happen? It seems like we've been waiting for freakin' ever and the stress of waiting, waiting, waiting for it to happen is getting old.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Knighted Member

My dogs blew their coat in December too to get their winter coats in- nothing to do with heat. As a matter of fact I've had few dogs that did blow their coat before a heat though I hear they do-I haven't seen it Now the swollen teats are definitely a sign so maybe within the next few weeks...or not,lol I would just relax your not going to miss blood spots all over the house believe me
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

My dogs also blew their coats around Thanksgiving.

If everything is normal, like Zoeys mom said, you'll notice droplets of blood when she goes into heat for real.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Knighted Member

I've seen breeders use Q-Tips to monitor where the dogs are in their cycle. I'd imagine this would work also for the purposes of figuring out when they're about to start.
And to go along with everyone else, Jax blew his coat in December as well... As a Christmas present to me, he stopped shedding lol
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

Some say 6 weeks after they blow their coat. Now is that 6 weeks from the beginning or 6 weeks from when they are done? I have no idea. My female didnt do that. She was shedding in Sept and finally was ready to breed in late November. Humm, just was thinking. Maybe it is 6 wks after they are done, now I will have to go pull the calendar out again. Are you actually checking her vulva?? or just looking for drops on the floor? When Yoko started, it was so light, it just dried before it went anywhere. And then she cleaned herself and you wouldnt know it was there unless you were looking for it every day. Best time to check her is right after a walk, but before she has a chance to clean herself. You may also notice her more interested in smelling her own urine, as it will change in scent.

Dawn Brogan
Littlehaus German Shepherd Dogs
Yoko v. d. Burg Austerlitz 06/16/2006-10/21/2019
Delloreese vom Littlehaus 03/20/2014
Georgia vom Littlehaus 02/23/2019
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Are you actually checking her vulva??
Good God, no! I wouldn't know what I was seeing anyway!

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

Blood and swelling, that is how we know when they are in heat. Unless she is being spayed, it is important to know this. she will be attractive to males and when she is in a standing heat, will be ready to breed. And we dont want that happening. Females have been known to go into their first heat anywhere from 6 mos to 18 mos of age. It is just my opinion, but I think the larger she is going to be, the longer it takes for that first heat. My female didnt come in until she was 10 mos old. Do you know when her mother first came into heat? That would be a good gage to go by since she will probably follow her mothers pattern.

Dawn Brogan
Littlehaus German Shepherd Dogs
Yoko v. d. Burg Austerlitz 06/16/2006-10/21/2019
Delloreese vom Littlehaus 03/20/2014
Georgia vom Littlehaus 02/23/2019
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Blood and swelling, that is how we know when they are in heat. Unless she is being spayed, it is important to know this. she will be attractive to males and when she is in a standing heat, will be ready to breed. And we dont want that happening. Females have been known to go into their first heat anywhere from 6 mos to 18 mos of age. It is just my opinion, but I think the larger she is going to be, the longer it takes for that first heat. My female didnt come in until she was 10 mos old. Do you know when her mother first came into heat? That would be a good gage to go by since she will probably follow her mothers pattern.
No idea when her mother's first heat was, but I could probably find out. Shasta is almost 9 months old. She is a pretty big girl already, 75 pounds or so.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Knighted Member

Zoe was almost 11 months old and it seems with LBD's they are almost always closer to a year than 6 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page