What kind of floor for slobbery GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

What kind of floor for slobbery GSD?

We are thinking of redoing our kitchen/dining room/living room area with one flooring. Just got a 6th month old rescue GSD and he slobbers so much more than our old 13 year old. I have been researching flooring and there is a product called Allure which is like laminate but supposed to be waterproof. I would like to stay away from linoleum because we have it in there and it just doesn't have much to convince me to use it again. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

I don't see how it would be any more "waterproof" than laminate flooring. Either of those are fine. Tile throughout is another option. I personally have hardwoods throughout the house (kitchen included) and as long as the poly finish isn't worn off, it does just find with dog wetness.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:08 PM

I agree with GSDElsa. I need area rugs all over the kitchen cause after 3 years Zeb still hasn't figured out to use less claw and more paw. He slides all over the place even though I trim his nails religiously.

Owned by:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

A few years ago I had my entire kitchen and living room refloored in a product called Koneto. I LOVE it! Vinyl and waterPROOF! The type I got looks like wood, really. It even goes down in 'planks' though they are flexible rather than stiff. Go right over the existing flooring in most cases (wall to wall has to come up though ).

Welcome to Konecto.

Hey, here is was put down in a pet store!

They also have tiles

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM

We just did our kitchen over in Pergo laminate flooring and am pleased with the choice. I was also considering tile but now when they drop their marrow bones on the floor I'm glad I went with the Pergo (I'd be worried about tiles cracking). Both would work fine as far as water resistance though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmeiss View Post
(I'd be worried about tiles cracking).
If you have tile appropriately rated for high traffice floor areas, there really isn't something your dog should be able to do to your tile to get it to break if it is installed correctly.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE][/QUOTEIf you have tile appropriately rated for high traffice floor areas, there really isn't something your dog should be able to do to your tile to get it to break if it is installed correctly.

Good to know. Sure sounds like it could break though when their bones hit tile, I cringe.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

We pulled up all the flooring and did stained concrete. It's completely indestrucible and easy to clean, but it does get cold in the wintertime

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Emoore, is your floor that you replaced with stained concrete above a basement, or is it on a slab? Thanks for the input guys!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notthereyet0 View Post
Emoore, is your floor that you replaced with stained concrete above a basement, or is it on a slab? Thanks for the input guys!!
On a slab. In fact, it IS the slab.

No basements in Texas, except for the one under the Alamo.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page