Be Careful with Trainers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Be Careful with Trainers

I hope this is not the wrong place for this, but I felt that people deserve to know what can really happen when you hire a "trainer" sometimes. Heightened awareness never hurts. And, this is not hype. This happened to some people in my neighborhood, and they told me the shocking details firsthand shortly after the incident. Of course, I offered to help with the aftermath and trauma the 13 week old puppy is obviously going through. Below are links to the case as details to-date are being released to the public. If you want more details, just ask.

http://www.kcra.com/video/26395882/detail.html

http://www.kcra.com/video/26458222/detail.html

http://www.kcra.com/video/26501014/detail.html

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 01-22-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Banned

Too long to load the videos - what did the trainer do?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

This is the message the owner sent to the News Station. First, Animal Control stepped in to have a look. Next the Sherriff got involved, and then four more "clients" came forward. Now the District Attorney is investigating. And, this all happening very fast. It's good to see that everyone, well almost everyone, deems animal safety a priority. Note that this is all formally public now, so I have not masked any names or places, or anything.

---CLIP
January 2nd, me and my Husband came home from a four (4) day vacation to our new 12 week old Standard Poodle Puppy that was physically, verbally, and mentally abused by Garrett Ridley, Owner of Ridley K9 Academy in Placerville.

Garrett Ridley was hired a few weeks ago to Positively Train our 8 week old Standard Poodle to be house broken, mild commands, etc. with TREATS and positive reinforcement. This man offered to BOARD our dog, Chance, for four days while we were out of town, so he would be in good hands, could play with his puppies and be social with his animals on his property that he kennels. We felt great about this for Chance already knew Garrett - and he is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL! \

When I called Garrett Friday morning, from San Diego, Garrett was frustrated, was cussing like crazy and said Chance is disrespecting him, he bit him, and all he wants to do is play with the puppies! Garrett said,"I will not let a f------ dog disrespect me and not listen to me." He told me Chance was running around his house and all he wants to do is play...I said this is what puppies do!!! I was in shock at his tone and violent demeanor. He also said he refused to take walks with him so he placed a SHOCK COLLAR on him and chained him up...the more he talked I was freaking out and wanted to just come home New Years Eve, not Sunday! My Husband, Scott tried to calm me down and tell me Garrett is just verbally unprofessional and to stay calm for surely he would never hurt him...we were WRONG!

Last night, at 6:00pm, he brought our dog back and I opened the door to Garrett cussing, Chance was cowering in a sit position, was showing zero excitement to see me. I called him and Garrett told me no - leave him be for he is being punished...I told him to let go of my dogs leash and Garrett told me he was being a little F----- and that he was really frustrated with Chance and that he will never bite him or anyone again for he was Submitted and Subdued so he knew who was boss and that he was not f------ around with this little fu-----r anymore. Garrett's cussing was shocking, making me sick, and moreso, Chance was not the same dog nor his playful self that a 12 week old puppy should be!

As Scott, my Husband, asked Garrett why he is so angry, we looked at Chance's face and saw both eyes were blood shot, he was choked, his neck was raw, and he was limping as he walked through our front door! Garrett, the Professional, walked in after Chance which was making Chance timid, and talked for 20 minutes, cussing the whole time about how we did not do our HOMEWORK with him and it is our fault that he had to train him so hard...he was supposed to board and kennel him, that is it!!!!

I told Garrett to leave our home, stop cussing and yelling, and we brought him to the Emergency Vet ASAP...his paws/pads are worn from being dragged, his eyes are filled with blood from choking and his eyes are hemoraging, his neck is RAW from his collar, he had pee/urine all under his belly and a skin infection from being in one spot so long, and he is walking slow and in pain, and he was absolutely DEHYDRATED and had no water or food and his belly was upset!

This morning we opened his bag of toys to find his KONG that we filled with treats was emptied, the top was cut off with a knife and the KONG is covered in DOG POOP!!! I am so disgusted - can you please come out and interview me ASAP...I am so scared to hear how many other dogs he is ABUSING and the Owners are not aware of this!!!

PLEASE HELP for I want the public to be cautious of this insane man that is a time bomb!!!!
---ENDCLIP

The videos actually show the dog's eyes when he was at the vet. Sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 01-22-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I forgot to mention that the vet found sores and punctures around the dog's neck, and says the dog was strangled. Sounds like a severe choke-out application, to me. Unbelievable that a total of 4 more people so far have come forward. Apparently, it's standard practice with some "trainers".

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Crowned Member

wow. just.... wow. speechless.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
I forgot to mention that the vet found sores and punctures around the dog's neck, and says the dog was strangled. Sounds like a severe choke-out application, to me. Unbelievable that a total of 4 more people have come forward. Apparently, it's standard practice with some "trainers".

in no way does standard practice make it okay, ESPECIALLY on a puppy. I fear for any kids that jackhole is ever around.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 AM

That is horrible..hope your little pup heals up soon and I hope this "trainer" goes out of business.

Chino & Shadow

At the bridge:

Cats:
Misty 2000-2013
Tiger ???? -2013
Echo 2013-2014
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Banned

WoW!

Have you tyalked with a lawyer yet? Sounds like the little fella could have some permanent harm (certainly hope not!).

Poor little puppy!

Hope that they nail the %$%$%!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Oh my God! How could he? That kind of person needs to have all those things done to him and see how he likes it! It was a puppy for god sake! People like that need to...you know what, I can't. I hope they sue his *** and send him to jail for a good long time.

Owned by:
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

Does anyone know if this story was on any "national" news outlets or anything. Or if this guy has been discussed on any threads here?

I don't know why, but this guys name sounds really familiar to me. I'm going to keep checking, but I know I've heard of this person before.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page