I x-rayed my dog and ofa'd him . his elbows are a1 and his hips are a3
HD-SV: HD a-noch zugelassen (a3)

is it ok or bad? can i breed him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Crowned Member

a1 = Excellent -- So his elbows are excellent

a3 I am not sure but a-noch zugelassen means "certified still permissible" So I am assuming something like "fair" rating

There is more to breeding than hip/elbow ratings. So until you know more about breeding I say no do not breed him. There are a lot of helpful threads on here about breeding you should read or ask some questions.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrooo View Post
Hello There,
I x-rayed my dog and ofa'd him . his elbows are a1 and his hips are a3
HD-SV: HD a-noch zugelassen (a3)

is it ok or bad? can i breed him?
Pedrooo,

Nooooooo! Don't pop the 'B' question around here. You'll get your feelings hurt and go away mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Crowned Member

A3 is the OFA equivalent of Mild HD. Dysplastic, yes when looking at their comparison chart. You said you OFA'd him too - have you gotten their score back yet? Under SV an A3 is still permissible for breeding, their version of Fair.

Personally I would not buy a dog who had A3s in their pedigree or even many A2s for that matter. A few A2s is fine, but don't want to see a pedigree loaded with them. And for me an A3 is a no go. Too high a risk.

"I" would not breed a dog that rated A3 but you will find people who will and people who won't. For me I think it's too risky, unless the dog were really exceptional and only then I would breed to a line with a very strong hip history.

For a male to stud as an A3? There are lots of males available with A1 and A2 that I would not even bother looking at a stud with a grade of A3 - lots of better graded males to choose from.

Michelle

IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
So I took a breather and came back to answer you...

Firstly I'll be blunt, 'cause I see no other way to put it: if you don't know what those things mean, you're nowhere near ready to breed your dog.

This forum has a wealth of knowledge to start off from - I suggest you read every thread on breeding and health/genetics and pedigrees. After that, stock up on literature and read up. Breeding is far from easy, and it's deeper than a1 elbows - please study breeding and everything about the GSD before you make any decisions about breeding your dog.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Elite Member

a3 means his hips would be allowed ("still permissable") for breeding in Germany.... as long as he had a title and preferably a breed survey.

Personally, if it were my dog, I'd re-xray at 2 years and submit them to OFA. The breeding decision should depend on a whole lot of other factors.

Christine

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
a3 means his hips would be allowed ("still permissable") for breeding in Germany.... as long as he had a title and preferably a breed survey.

Personally, if it were my dog, I'd re-xray at 2 years and submit them to OFA. The breeding decision should depend on a whole lot of other factors.
Well put and also what I would do!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

What other factors and qualities do you think your dog possesses that would make him breeding quality? I think one would be hard pressed to use a dog for breeding with those hip scores unless he brought a lot of other very good things to the table.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsmom View Post
A3 is the OFA equivalent of Mild HD. Dysplastic, yes when looking at their comparison chart. You said you OFA'd him too - have you gotten their score back yet? Under SV an A3 is still permissible for breeding, their version of Fair.
Those comparison charts floating around the internet are not entirely accurate. One cannot automatically equate a3 to mild HD and assume it is dysplastic. The different rating systems cannot be compared in that manner. I have known a3 dogs who OFAed Fair and Good, and a1 dogs who failed OFA.

As far as not breeding an a3 dog, or dogs with such ratings in their pedigree, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion there but I don't think any one factor should automatically make or break a dog for breeding. Certainly not merely the hip rating, unless the hips are truly bad. One has to look at the ancestors and other relatives. That a3 dog may well carry much better hip genetics than a whole lot of a1s and OFA Excellents out there. One has to research beyond just the individual rating to make a sound decision on hips, and then look at the whole dog, not any one aspect, to make a sound decision on breeding.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Excellent post Chris...

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page