Is my pup chubby? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Is my pup chubby?

My pup is 9 months old in 6 days. He is 28 inches to the shoulder top and he is 95 lbs. He has a yard to play in and we excercise as much as we can when I am off work. This is mainly about 3 hours of fetch a night.

Anyway, let me know if i need to ease up on the puppy chow.And should he still be on puppy chow or reg food.

holla!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

It's impossible to tell without pictures. A side view and a top view are good.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

My 15 month old male is about 27.5 at the shoulder and weighs 82lbs. I would absolutely get away from Puppy Chow, basically it's McDonald's for dogs. Try switching to a really good grain free. It may seem expensive, but you will save that money in vet bills later. We feed Instinct, Chicken. We also like Orejen, Acana and Taste of the Wild.
Without pics it's impossible to gauge whether your pup's weight.
Good luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
9 months is too young for most of the grain free formulas out there. I believe the only one thats ok is orijen LBP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If that's a recent shot of your pup at the start of that, I have to say he looks a bit too heavy to me. Looking straight down at my dogs I like to see definition where the ribs stop. From the side I like to see a definite belly tuck. I also can feel my dogs last ribs and hip bones, not covered by a thick layer of fat I have to push on.

Look at this white GSD, see the 'dent' between the last rib and the dog's thigh? That's what I like to see, with the up tuck of the belly.

Another good shot

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
My 15 month old male is about 27.5 at the shoulder and weighs 82lbs. I would absolutely get away from Puppy Chow, basically it's McDonald's for dogs. Try switching to a really good grain free. It may seem expensive, but you will save that money in vet bills later. We feed Instinct, Chicken. We also like Orejen, Acana and Taste of the Wild.
Without pics it's impossible to gauge whether your pup's weight.
Good luck,
Agreed. But at that height your pup may be slightly chubby........ and maybe not.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
9 months is too young for most of the grain free formulas out there. I believe the only one thats ok is orijen LBP
Based on what information?
We switch ALL of ours to adult food around 5-6 months at the latest.
They don't NEED the grain at any age, so why would you say a young dog shouldn't eat the grain free foods?
We have raised at least 50 large breed dogs here in the last 20 years (about 15 Beaucerons and the rest GSDs) and have not had a single one get Hip or Elbow dysplasia. All have remained relatively trouble free until old age (over 12 or 13) and a few remained active duty K9s (that we raised, trained and sold to area units) until well past when most other dogs in those departments had retired. We have been active in dogs for longer than 20 years, but that is about the time we got very interested in diet and nutrition and changed how and what we fed.
Our vet, who is one of the few vets in the country with advanced degrees in nutritional science as well as holistic medicine along with her traditional veterinary degree, totally agrees with our feeding regimen and raises her own dogs in a pretty similar manner. Although she feeds more raw than we do(we feed raw once a week or so).
Annette
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How about we look at the dog and answer his question rather than get into the age old debate of grain free or not (BTW my dogs do well with some grain in their diet ) and instead watch the very start of the guys video (if that is the dog in question) and just comment on the dog's size.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Its not about the grains, the problem is the calcium in the grain free kibbles. Its too high for a fast growing large breed pup, and can cause problems. If you ask the companies they will tell you to not feed to large breed pups.

In a raw diet, as long as its not premade raw, you are in complete control of the phosphorus to calcium ratio, so its not the same thing as the kibble at all.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with MRL.

He is not obese or anything but he could lose some weight

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page