How to deal with dog showing dominance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

How to deal with dog showing dominance

I have a 8 1/2 month old male gsd. My question is he is showing alot of dominance toward my female dog and all other dogs. He will never let my female go before him. He will cut her off and knock her over when I let them out together. So I have started making him wait before we go threw any door ways, and then letting him go threw only with the threw command. Hoping this will stop him from at least plowing my female over every time they go out. He is constantly mouthing my female around the neck and just controlling her. The worst was when my brother in law brought his male over. His dominance came out just horrible. Any suggestions on how to deal with this. I will be asking my trainer also what he suggest next week when I see him. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think it's great you are going to work with your trainer on this.

There is alot more stuff you can do around the house to make YOU more of the leader so he'll look to you before crashing into the other dogs. A great book is called The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. I love it cause it's an easy read with tons of real information you can start doing right away. Not obedience but dog based behavioral stuff we can help with....
dog behaviour, dog obedience, dog trainers, puppy training, dog rescue assistance, canine behaviour, canine obedience by Jan Fennell the Dog Listener Amichien Bonding

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Listener-Communicate-Willing-Cooperation/dp/0060089466

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Elite Member

This is also a handy article to read and think about: yielding

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
This is also a handy article to read and think about: yielding
THAT is a good article and along the lines of what I am recommending. Jan Fennell even has more recommendations along those lines. Simple things we can do throughout the day to assure the stability of our 'pack'.

Fact is when we are in charge, and the dogs know it, there is alot less 'crap' going on with inappropriate behavior and bullying between the dogs. And being in charge should be a calm, leadership thing that's in place all the time.

Only thing I'd add is to REALLY make sure you are ramping up the exercise with your young male. There's more going on with adolescence too that if you can take the edge off by appropriate exercise (which changes and increases the first year or so) the calmer it will be around the house.

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. I just ordered the Dog Listener book. Cant wait to read it. I talk to my trainer tonight and he is going to come to my house and see what my dog is doing then train me lol to train my dog. In the mean time im going to read Jan Fennel site to learn some more.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM

And don't forget the exercise! Specially if you can find a place for some good off leash romps, or chuck-it? All more good bonding with you in a new place doing a great activity and wearing that darn boy dog out!!!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

You know exercise is so important and sometimes I forget that. I also need to remember that mental exercise is just as important. I just got him his first kong tonight and put some peanut butter inside of it. Wow what a great baby sitter it has been for the last hour and a half. He is memorized by trying to get the peanut butter out lol. Again thanks for all the advice, this site is just great. Just wish I would have read here before I bought my dog. Theres a few things I didnt realize before buying from a breeder. Lucky he has been great so far no problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgollar View Post
You know exercise is so important and sometimes I forget that. I also need to remember that mental exercise is just as important. I just got him his first kong tonight and put some peanut butter inside of it. Wow what a great baby sitter it has been for the last hour and a half. He is memorized by trying to get the peanut butter out lol. Again thanks for all the advice, this site is just great. Just wish I would have read here before I bought my dog. Theres a few things I didnt realize before buying from a breeder. Lucky he has been great so far no problems.
That's a great idea!

BTW, if he gets too good with a kong (these smart dogs of ours...) there is a thing called a Purple Squirrel Dude that I LOVE! The same rubber, you can put in about 1/2 cup of kibble with peanut butter AND the hole has rubber pieces partially blocking to make it even harder (may not need the peanut butter!).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001GAQ9RQ/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&img=MAIN&color_name=1http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001GAQ9RQ/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&img=PT01&color_name=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page