Somebody I know named their dog Timber! Grrrr. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Angry Somebody I know named their dog Timber! Grrrr.

Maybe Im just being a witch.....but I really peeved. Im actually a pretty calm, laid back person....definitely non-gruding bearing. But this one has taken the cake for me.

Back at Christmas time there were some GSD or GSD mixes for sale in the parking lot of Walmart. We glanced as we drove by and we all said "aaaaah, how cute".

Well....let me back track. My daughter has a friend who currently owns a 9 year old female GSD. The mother and I (she also shares my name (Jennifer) had talked on the phone about their desires to obtain another GSD pup because they would like to have one there for when their female passes someday. So we talked about adding a male. Of course I love my Timber so we talked alot about Timber and personality since he is a male.
We dont talk often and we arent close by any means. But when we would talk.....I was always talkin about my Timber man.

Now...back to the GSD's at Walmart time frame. My daughter and I were sitting down eating dinner and she tells me that her friend finally found the GSD they had been looking for. I asked where they got it and she said from that truck at Walmart we had seen. And then she said "guess what they named him"? TIMBER. I was like....WHAT????
You know I took the time to come up and think of a name not totally out there, but different. I know there is someone on here with a Timber too. But that is coincidence and unrelated. And Im okay with that.
But Im asking you to put yourself in my shoes if your GSD's name is not a common one and how you would feel if your neighbor or someone you know got a GSD and named it the same thing? Should it be looked at as a compliment....sure. But for the last few weeks, my brain is NOT perceiving it as one.
I really hate that Im even writing this. Ive contemplated doing it and then told myself no and back and forth.
I guess Im just having a really hard time digesting this whole scenerio and whats so confusing is that it is just not like me to think, feel, act this way.
What say you???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM

I know someone with a GSD named Timber. They were a member here before you joined and volunteer with me. I thought Raven was pretty unique but there are a couple of people on here with Raven's.

If you aren't that close to them, it's no big deal and even a compliment. I'd be way more pissed that they bought a GSD from the back of a truck in a Walmart parking lot.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Does it make your dog any less lovable and special? I don't understand. When I introduce Zeb to stranger they call him Zep, Jeb, Jes, Zed...I smile and just go with it. It doesn't change who my dog is.

IMO you are overreacting to something that is not a big deal. But that's just me.

Also, they got the dog from a Walmart parking lot? How do they know the dog is healthy at all? I would stop worrying about a name and worry about making sure the pup is ok. Have they brought them to the vet to get checked out/shots?

Owned by:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)

Last edited by ZebsMommy; 01-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

I say, who cares?! It is not like they/you live together.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

We have a Timber in our Schutzund Club. More common a name than it appears to be at first glance.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

I guess I would be kinda upset too.

If someone I knew named any of their animals Chaos, Monster, Sinister or Wicked I would probably be upset about it. I wanted to be different and have dark names and that is why I chose those names (even though there are several Chaos' on here I have never met someone that named their animal that until I joined this forum).

All of my family members and friends know that if I ever have human children (not likely) that I will name my daughter Helena and my son Gage. If someone stole those names from me, there would be a serious butt whooping.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think it is a big deal either! I would have made waay more an issue of where they got the pup-way to support the BYB's!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

I've heard the name Timber before.

I don't know, I guess there are so many important things in life, having someone name a dog using the same name as I used for one of the Hooligans has never upset me. Years ago when I named my Tasha it was a unique name, I'd never heard it before (actually my sister named her), but then later it became very common.

Seven of mine were already named when I got them (I only changed one name because he'd been seriously abused). Ringer (who was named by a friend) is the only one of my guys that I've never heard of on another animal, and if I did it wouldn't bother me.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser

Last edited by arycrest; 01-21-2011 at 10:47 AM.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Who cares. I know someone that named their dog dodger after meeting my dodger, it never bothered me because I took it as a compliment it doesn't change who my dog is or weither or not I still love him.

My grandparents had a dog name chopper he was a GSD/Australian Shepherd mix. When he passed they named their Border Collie chopper; that I found was disrespectful to the first chopper and it confused the heck out of everybody because we had to specify which chopper we were talking about at the time.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCluver33 View Post
My grandparents had a dog name chopper he was a GSD/Australian Shepherd mix. When he passed they named their Border Collie chopper; that I found was disrespectful to the first chopper and it confused the heck out of everybody because we had to specify which chopper we were talking about at the time.
I don't know why, but this has always bothered me too. My cousin's wife named all her Danes Princess and I've known others who do that including my BIL who is on Sam the 4th or 5th (he has birds). My mom used to work with a guy whose son died as an infant and they named their next baby the same thing because they liked the name (not in memory of the first child).

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page