My Petplan insurance went up 17% - ridiculous? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

My Petplan insurance went up 17% - ridiculous?

My GSD turned 6 on 12/10.

I signed him up with Petplan when he was 4 at $32.52 a month.

At 5 it went up to $37.54 a month.

Now I've been informed that for this year, the rate will be $44.65 a month.

Trending that out until he's 11, I'll eventually be paying almost $80 a month.

I like Petplan because it's catastrophic coverage only. Most of the other plans charge more for things I don't need, like annual exams, etc. I'd rather pay for those on my own because it's cheaper to self-fund those. But if he comes down with a serious illness, is in an accident, or something, I want coverage.

I'm wondering if these rates are too high or if they're about right for his age. I don't expect to pay puppy rates but the year-over-year increase concerns me.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

At $44.65 per month, that's $535.80 for one year. You said roughly $80 per month when he's 11 if it keeps increasing like it is, which is less than $1,000 for the year.

Does the insurance cover something like hip displaysia or only something like if he's hit by a car? Because if he ever needs hip replacements, I think someone said it can be $6,000 per hip, give or take. I think that if you can afford it and you like your plan, stick with it. Just make sure YOU feel like it's worth it. Even if you never need it, it's best to have it just in case.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

The plan covers 80% of anything, up to a maximum of $20,000 per year with no lifetime maximum. There's a couple other benefits (death is $1,000, etc.) but that's basically it. There's a $200 deductible. They definitely do cover hip displaysia.

So like I said, it's catastrophic coverage. My thought in buying it is if that he needs hip replacement or cancer care or something, I'd like to have it. But the annual visit where he gets his shots is something I pay for. (Of course, I'd prefer to never ever have to use it at all!)

I appreciate your point and agree that value is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just wondering if others have other plans that they are happier with...though at this point, switching insurance might be as expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Crowned Member

We've saved up a sizable chunk of an emergency fund over the years, which is the only reason I don't have insurance on the dogs. Personally, it's worth the cost of a couple of pizzas per month to not have to make those heartrending decisions with your wallet. If I didn't have the emergency fund, I'd probably have Petplan or something similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

Hm. Just for fun I went to the petplan site and got a quote on Rocky, who will be 9 in a few months. For their Gold plan, $20k in coverage, $200 deductible, 80% copay they quoted me $42.07 per month. You might want to call them and rattle their cage a little. Tell them you've gotten better offers from other companies and would like a better rate.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Elite Member

My Petplan insurance went up about a $100 a year. They told me that they are switching underwriters so thats the reason for the price increase.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
vat
Knighted Member

Have you tried Trupanion? When I check with them before their rates seemed good and they do not offer the routine care.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Master Member

I pay $600 a year ($50/month) for the Silver 100% coverage $100 deductible, but I just started it a couple months ago, so I'm sure my rates will be raised next year.

Just an FYI, if you switch plans, anything 'on the books' is considered a pre-existing condition. So if you had many issues with your dog and they are on going and want to keep pet insurance make sure you check out what they consider pre-existing. Basically they know they can raise the rates and most won't cancel because their dogs have many pre-existing conditions (at least it's this way with petplan).

Michael

Last edited by unloader; 01-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Knighted Member

one thing you could do to get the rates down is drop down to the 12000/yr coverage and/or raise your deductible.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

Yikes! I had health and mortality on my 30K horse for less than what you guys are paying--what a ripoff!

Anyhow, I'd imagine that you could up your deductible quite a bit--say, to $500, and drop the 20K a year. I think it would be fairly hard to rack up 20K a year in vet bills. Hip replacements aren't even that bad these day (not sure where the number of 6K a hip came from...anyone paying that much for a hip replacement in a dog is definitely paying too much). I think even dropping down to 15K a year would be plenty of cushion.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page