vacation and ur gsd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

vacation and ur gsd

if you go on vacation far away and have to fly have any of you taken ur gsd with you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Why do you feel you need to display such a profile picture?

Do you have low self-esteem or just ...?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:28 PM

L Dan. Really? That has nothing to do with what she is asking and really shouldn't make a difference. I'm sorry, but IMO that is extremely rude and uncalled for.

To the OP, I have not flown with mine as of yet. I know it's one in a million, but the stories of pets "escaping" their crate scares me silly. If and when I have to go anywhere I drive. It costs more in gas but I know where my babies are 100%

Owned by:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebsMommy View Post
L Dan. Really? That has nothing to do with what she is asking and really shouldn't make a difference. I'm sorry, but IMO that is extremely rude and uncalled for.

To the OP, I have not flown with mine as of yet. I know it's one in a million, but the stories of pets "escaping" their crate scares me silly. If and when I have to go anywhere I drive. It costs more in gas but I know where my babies are 100%
I couldn't agree more with Zebs on the first part.

As far as traveling with mine, I haven't traveled yet but when I do I hope to take one with me if not both. It all depends on where I go and if dogs are allowed. I know I want to go back to Vegas for a weekend (i live in AZ so only a 4 hour drive) but finding a pet friendly hotel is hard when your dog weighs more than 50 lbs.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Dan View Post
Why do you feel you need to display such a profile picture?

Do you have low self-esteem or just ...?
LOL I think it's cuz she's hot! (and I'm a straight chick)

As for the question, if you're in Ontario, which I think you said you were at one point, unless that was someone else... WestJet has excellent pet policies. No losing or killing your animal... you carry them on and off the plane yourself and they're in the passenger compartment of the plane. You can even ask the flight crew to check on your animal in flight.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
LOL I think it's cuz she's hot! (and I'm a straight chick)

As for the question, if you're in Ontario, which I think you said you were at one point, unless that was someone else... WestJet has excellent pet policies. No losing or killing your animal... you carry them on and off the plane yourself and they're in the passenger compartment of the plane. You can even ask the flight crew to check on your animal in flight.
Hey that is pretty nice.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM

I am going to florida in june.. And plan on leaving my dog with relatives he is familiar with. We are driving but Cant take him on a 24hr drive then sit in our condo all day while we are out.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't bring my dog because (via plane) it would be too stressful and I'd worry about him getting lost or something happening to him during the route. If I were going for a month + overseas I'd consider bringing him along. I've brought him along on far away trips via car with no issues. Sigurd usually comes along when we have car trips (when we drive our Honda, there is no room in the other vehicle). When he doesn't come along he stays at a great kennel, and recently he stayed with my neighbour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Sort of a tag-on question: if you've ever left your dog at a kennel for 4-6 weeks, do they suffer kennel fever? I travel overseas for about 1 mth per year, can't take the dog along because the country i travel to has strict laws regarding GSDs, muzzled in public, not allowed at dog parks, only allowed in parks during certain times, and to bring the dog into the country requires 10 days quarantine and a $10,000 bond for the duration of the dog's stay...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

If the kennel is providing proper exercise and mental stimulation then your dog should be fine. I would prefer to have mine in a home environment if possible though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page