To all first time GSD owners (long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
DTS
Master Member

To all first time GSD owners (long)

i was a little scared when i came on this site the first time. this is my first gsd and i was embarrassed to tell my story for fear of being ridiculed (sp) for not researching and what people refer to as impulse buying. but i hope that my story will encourge those who are lurking or thinking about getting one to do their homework. but obviously if you are on here, you are a step further than i was. i guess you could say my jasmine was an impulse buy. i had never had a purebred dog before and loved the breed. my bf had a gsd in the past but got him when he was older and they lived in the sticks so no need for training socializing etc. so we went to a breeder we found online, a byb. ( diidn't know the difference at the time)she brought all of the paper work out for us, and the puppy. she allowed the dam to come out and meet us, but the sire remained in the backyard. she asked us about where we lived (apartment) and if we ever owned one before( yes and no). she explained the hip/elbow gaurentee, asked if we were going to breed ( no, then marked limited registration) and we paid her $250 and took home our new puppy. i had no idea of socialization trainning etc. boy was i wrong. it never crossed my mind because none of my other dogs needed any extensive training. im one of the idiots everyone hates. even though we took her everywhere it just seemed to be getting worse with her fear. then i came on here and found out a lot of things i wasn't doing and needed to do. how to socialize properly, health, training, etc. i now socialize 3-5 times a week and am currently enrolled in basic obidience. slowly but surely she is getting better. she has had some health issues already nothing major have cost around 500. i am like most novice dog owners who think that as long as you feed, care properly for the dog, and love it and teach basic commands the dog will be fine. i assume thats why many people give up their dogs to shelters or dump them. it is definately time consuming and a struggle. i had no clue about her lines and heritage ( i know a tad bit but have a lot more to learn). over all, i love my baby and i treat her like a child. i wouldn't give her up for anything and try as hard as i can to do everything i can to ensure she is happy and well cared for. moral of the story:
1)ask the potentail breeder all the questions that are on the stickys here
(hips certified, temperment, titles, past puppies, what kind of trainning and socialization etc) i didn't ask about if the parents hips were ofa'd and im scared that she will have hip problems. but you live and learn
2) everyone here has great advice to give. (Some may come off a little strong which at first scared me off) but they are trying to help because they love the breed and want what is best
3)i would reccomend getting a puppy from a reputable breeder,however, there are some people who want a puppy and like me couldn't afford to pay 1000+ for a pup. there are good dogs out there for less. some may not agree and say if you cant afford that, then you cant afford a dog. true. however, jasmine has all the toys, bones, and best food (diamond naturals) that can be provided. when she is sick, she goes to the vet no questions asked. if we have to lack on something else so be it. she comes first. any dog can get sick, no matter how much it costs.
4) ask questions. if your curious, ASK. don't be afraid. no matter how stupid it might seem. i have learned so much here.
5) everyone makes mistakes. it is those who learn from them and try and correct the situation are also good owners in my opinion. no one is perfect.
6) i have found courage to tell my story now. i am not afraid to be ridiculed (sp) because i know that i am doing the best to my ability to care, train, and socialize my pup.
i hope i can help someone with this or reach out to anyone else who bought a puppy the way i did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

Nope, you're not one of those idiots everyone hates. You admit there are things you don't know and are willing to learn. You admit some of your decisions weren't the best and are desiring to make better ones in the future.

The "idiots everyone hates" are the ones who are ignorant and arrogant about it. The ones who are sure they know everything even though this is their first GSD, or even their first dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Crowned Member

Thank you for taking time to post this.

You have no reason to feel ashamed. You are doing your best for your pup and keeping an open mind.

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Nope, you're not one of those idiots everyone hates. You admit there are things you don't know and are willing to learn. You admit some of your decisions weren't the best and are desiring to make better ones in the future.

The "idiots everyone hates" are the ones who are ignorant and arrogant about it. The ones who are sure they know everything even though this is their first GSD, or even their first dog.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM

Although I do agree that researching should of done before making any big decision I applaud you for not giving up on your dog. Can't hate anyone who tries their hardest to make it work. Don't worry everyone has felt overwhelmed at some point while owning a GSD I'm sure. Thanks for having the courage to write this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Knighted Member

Well, you saved this puppy from lord knows what, and now she has a loving forever home, with like you said, all the treats and toys her heart could desire. Thats a good pet owner in my book!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Knighted Member

Thank you for posting your story. We all live and learn. You are not alone. My husband and I weren't educated in GSDs either. GSD sure do teach their owners a thing or two about proper dog care and ownership. They are a very challenging breed. I too, had no idea what a BYB was. I joined after I got Jamie and yes, she was purchased from a BYB. I look at this way at least one puppy out of that litter got a good forever home. You can't change what you did. It is done you might as well take care of the puppy the best you can and love it. As long as you learn from your mistakes and correct them in the future no one can fault you for that.

The ones that "everyone hates" are the ones that don't want to learn anything and will not take any advice. They just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Yes, as Emoore said they are arrogant about it as well.

Just know there are other "idiots" as you call yourself and I am one of them too. So you are not alone.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM
vat
Knighted Member

While I did my research before our first GSD (hubby had them as a child) I still made the mistake of buying from a pet store. Live and learn! You are doing what I did, taking care of your pup no matter what and learning from your mistakes. I do not fault you for that one bit.

One day you will have the chance to do as I have done and own a GSD from a good breeder and wow will you see the difference. The mistakes you have made now will allow you to help others who want to learn and this pup will teach you a ton.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Knighted Member

You are not an idiot. You are willing to listen and learn from solid advice. I applaud you for giving that pup a good home and being willing to accept there may be health problems that you will take care of. Pyrate came from a litter that was confiscated from some crack dealers. The entire litter and two adult dogs were taken to the shelter. The people bailed out of jail and claimed the two adult dogs but left the litter. I got first pick but all the puppies had health problems. Pyrate has a bulging disc in his back, another had a cracked vertebrae. Pyrate and his brother Colt are the only two left alive from that litter and they will be 8 in April. I knew there could be problems but I love him anyway and will care for him until the end. Raina is the first dog I ever bought. She came from Germany, high drive, working lines. My trainer imports K9's to train so he has a partner in Germany that is able to get the good dogs. I'll never be sorry I got her, even though she is a handful to train.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Crowned Member

My GSD Sinister is my first GSD.

I did some research on the breed before buying him but I didn't do research on breeders and ending up buying him from a BYB, I dont regret it but I will never buy from a BYB again.

You may have bought your puppy without knowing about the breed first, but now you are willing to learn and you are doing a great job with your puppy.

Congrats to you!

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page