low threshold vs high - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Question low threshold vs high

anyone here know the diff between low and high threshold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

Threshold for what?

"Threshold" is just how much stimulus it takes to create a response.

So a dog with a high pain threshold, like a Rottweiler or Pitt bull, can take someone accidentally stepping on their foot or a kid tugging on their ear without a whimper, while a dog with a low pain threshold cries when you give it its vaccinations

A dog with a high fear threshold is hard to scare, while a dog with a low threshold is fearful of all kinds of things.

A dog with a high aggression threshold takes a lot of threat before he becomes aggressive, while one with a lower threshold become aggressive if you look at him the wrong way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 01-19-2011 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Read this.
Elements of Temperament

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks but why do some people perfer dogs with low threshold in ring sports they never said for what i just read that some guy claimed a dog with low threshold for ring was what he needed kinda confused me
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotica View Post
ok thanks but why do some people perfer dogs with low threshold in ring sports they never said for what i just read that some guy claimed a dog with low threshold for ring was what he needed kinda confused me
Probably referring to a low threshold for aggression?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Probably referring to a low threshold for aggression?
Yeah, he probably wants the dog to go after the decoy with far less stimulation than an average dog would need.

~ Cayla

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

It can also just be low thresholds for a prey response. In general, a dog with low thresholds is easy to get to react. A high threshold dog is going to take more stimulus before he response.

So, a dog with low thresholds would be a dog who is very easy to switch into motion, into response--prey/aggression, etc.

Christine

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
It can also just be low thresholds for a prey response. In general, a dog with low thresholds is easy to get to react. A high threshold dog is going to take more stimulus before he response.

So, a dog with low thresholds would be a dog who is very easy to switch into motion, into response--prey/aggression, etc.
This is my take on it as well and when I say I want a dog with high thresholds, means I want my dog to NOT react with little stimulous.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

You may be talking about Francis Metcalf as he mentioned this on Facebook recently. Who ever it is that mentioned it I would encourage you to ask him.

As far as ring is concerned it has nothing to do with aggression. A dog that has a very low threshold for prey drive may be a pain to live with if not properly controlled but is easy to train.

Dog training in the NYC area!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page