any solutions for lawn-turned-mud pit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

any solutions for lawn-turned-mud pit?

We adopted Sasha about 2 months after we moved into our house. Our yard isn't huge, but it's big enough for her to romp around a fair bit. There was grass when we moved in, I swear. Now it's just an ever-expanding mud pit. I've seen a few threads with some lawn advice but it seemed like most were addressing "burning" issues.

So...has anyone found any reliable ways to grow grass with a GSD around? A particularly hardy type of grass? Or some nice grass alternatives (not artificial grass though, that's not a financial option for us)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM

I'd love to hear ideas also. I have the same issue. I put straw down in the winter to cut down on the mud when things melt but I am determined to have a lawn this summer which means I will have to fence off a potty area and keep the dogs out of the backyard.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmischief View Post
We adopted Sasha about 2 months after we moved into our house. Our yard isn't huge, but it's big enough for her to romp around a fair bit. There was grass when we moved in, I swear. Now it's just an ever-expanding mud pit. I've seen a few threads with some lawn advice but it seemed like most were addressing "burning" issues.

So...has anyone found any reliable ways to grow grass with a GSD around? A particularly hardy type of grass? Or some nice grass alternatives (not artificial grass though, that's not a financial option for us)?

Thanks!
You have my sympathy, the only solution I found was to keep the dog off the grass during its fragile periods, like spring, summer, fall and winter

Find some other place for the dog to run, or make your choice: dog or lawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Same here!

No grass in front yard.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmischief View Post

Thanks!
No solutions . . . just commiserating with you! My husband isn't going to be happy but I think I'm going to put straw down this weekend. I called him today to ask if we could just pave the back yard!

Sandra

Ridley 2010
Rennie 2006
Rex 2000 - 2010
Retta 1993 - 2006
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Knighted Member

The first of the every year after the grass has been dormant a while (tx) I fence off half of the yard so I won't lose the whole yard in the winter. When spring comes around I take it down and my full lawn comes back nicely...though it takes until about June for the full yard to be thriving again.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
You have my sympathy, the only solution I found was to keep the dog off the grass during its fragile periods, like spring, summer, fall and winter

Find some other place for the dog to run, or make your choice: dog or lawn.
I concur completely with this! (And happen to find it quite funny)

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM

A large dog pen works I have a 20 x 20 pen with patio stones for easy cleaning, that he goes in for potty and such, we clean it daily. He only has full run of the yard when we are in the yard.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I don't think there's a solution other than to keep your dog off the grass. We have a huge back yard, about 2/3 of an acre, and we still have places where Shasta's worn the grass away. Fortunately for our sanity, we're not trying to grow a lawn back there.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, if you have a smallish yard, it really can't be your dog's play area if you want to keep any semblance of a lawn. With a small yard you have to be diligent about poop pickup and really play elsewhere if you want to keep your grass. This is one of many reasons we sold our house in the city and moved an hour out of town to a house on an acre. The commute is a drag, but at least we have an on-site dog park!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page