Salt for Ice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Salt for Ice

I really wish people would use sand or a salt that is animal safe. With the weather the way it has been lately ice is a huge factor on our streets and sidewalks. Brewski for the past weeks is continuously licking, and nipping around the pads on his paws. A friend suggested paw boots, I bought a pair he hates them and gets them off every time. What if anything do you any of you do to protect their paws from the salt? It must burn under the pads is what I am thinking. I feel so bad for him as they seem to be driving him crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM

I bet a lot of people don't realize that the salt isn't safe for pets especially if they don't have dogs themselves.

They don't salt the streets in my neighborhood so I walk the dogs in the road.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Wiping off his feet when you get home with a wet washcloth helps a lot with removing the salt from feet.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Keep a pitcher of water near your door and rinse his paws off when you get home...hope this helps.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Master Member

I have not tried this product myself, but it supposedly protects paws from the yucky chemicals put down on winter sidewalks. You may want to check it out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FMushers-Secret-Invisible-Shield-200%2Fdp%2FB0002XIZXY&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Sarah

Khyber GSD

Mr. Coal BFBC (big fat black cat)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

Another thing, some types that say they are animal safe can still irritate them. I usually only use the "Safe Paw" melter but I was out of town so someone else bought a diff. brand while I was gone, which said it was pet safe. When Bianca walked on it she started limping.

I've used the Pawz boots before, those work pretty well for Bianca. I have also used a product you spray on their feet which is supposed to protect them against ice, snow and salt and keep snowballs from forming between the pads. It's called Paw Pro. I also wipe their feet off when they come inside so they don't lick any chemical ice melter off their paws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Knighted Member

I don't walk my dogs on the sidewalks but I'd rather them salt than not clear the ice at all as much of a pain is it is on their pads You can put a bucket in front of your house to wash his paws off, walk him in the grass only, or even put kids socks on him- we do this with my lab,lol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all I am going to look for some Paw Pro tomorrow at the Pet Smart nearest to me. I think I might keep the water at the door too.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
I had no idea such a thing existed - now I'm even more mad that I fell and hurt my already injured wrist on the ice on my deck because I won't put salt down, due to my dogs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larien View Post
I had no idea such a thing existed - now I'm even more mad that I fell and hurt my already injured wrist on the ice on my deck because I won't put salt down, due to my dogs...
Ouch... My mom actually broke her ankle falling on ice at the bottom of front stairs a few weeks ago.
You should get some YakTrax (for yourself, not the dog).
I bought some recently and wow do they work! We had a really brief warm spell the other day which brought freezing rain and then the temp dropped and everything froze, so it's really icy around here right now. I was slipping and sliding earlier today when I was walking without them even though I tried to avoid the iciest spots; and I walked the same route this evening with the YakTrax on and didn't slip once-- even though I purposefully hit the icy spots this time! I also bought my mom a pair.
If you don't know what they are: YakTrax

They do make dog safe ice melter in addition to things that can protect your dog's paws. I will only use the Safe Paw ice melter now because other types I've used that said they were ok with pets still seemed to hurt the dogs' feet.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page