It is so frustrating... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Angry It is so frustrating...

My girl Misia is very, very well behaved. She has been through formal "puppy training" . I work with her almost every night, sometimes my work schedule will interfere but my point is, is that she has been socialized tremendously.

I like to take her different places other than the RMGSD club. They are obvious all friendly to GSD's or pet stores which like the club, is very friendly.

I will walk her into any store that will allows leashed dogs. Tonight I was in Best Buy...I saw a man pick his girl up off the floor and she was probably 3/4 of the store away from me. The clerk was clearly nervous and we started talking and he asked me if she was a "police dog"...I am not a Officer so I told him no but she does scent work and herding ( not officially yet ). He was clearly reluctant but he did ask me if he could pet her and I told him that she is a sweet heart and go for it. Of course she was nothing but that.

Score one for my girl, while we where waiting in line she was laying on the floor by my feet. A couple asked me why I felt it was OK to bring a "Guard Dog" in Best Buy and, it makes people uncomfortable. I dismissed there comments and left. It is not just tonight but this is a huge trend that I have noticed.

What my point is, is that it is so frustrating the perception these absolute morons have. Granted they may look intimidating, maybe its because they are used for K9, protection work but, they are also companions dogs, SAR, Agility, and of course herding / ranch work, etc. I know all of you know this but what do you do ? I honestly feel bad for my girl because of the preconceptions that people have about the breed.

Granted, if was going to guess 60% of people if not more do not train there dogs. However there is a huge difference from a dog yanking its owner through a store and a dog walking on a short, loose leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Crowned Member

I am going to have to check if my local best buy lets dogs inside. I'm guessing no though.

When I first got Sage, the comments like that irritated me. Usually I ignored them and if it was a bad day they got a remark to make them feel like an idiot.

Now I try to educate. I would apologize for my dog's presence making them feel uncomfortable but inform them that animals were allowed to be there and my dog was being perfectly behaved. Then if they were still listening I would let them know that not all GSDs are police dogs. Many are family pets. They are not an agressive breed but there are a lot of irresposible owners and breeders out there just like any other breed etc..

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 AM

best buy..pet friendly?? Wish mine was!!

Some people just have fears. and mis-informed. They watch COPS on tv, see a GSD going nuts, and instantly assume your dog is going to rip their arm off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Crowned Member

yeah i'm from Colorado and the only places i know of that allow leashed dogs in who arent police dogs or service dogs are the pet stores. Chains like Best Buy has a service dog on policy as do most other places.

As far as the responses from other people, its all ignorance. Try to educate. If your dog is friendly and well behaved, it wouldnt hurt to ask them if they'd like to meet your dog. The worst they'll say is no. I know people are usually backing away wide-eyed from my dogs until i ask if they'd like to say hi.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 AM

Its because of all the irresponsible "owners" out there that get dogs from crappy breeders, keep them tied to a tree for the first 2 years where they have no socialization and become aggressive....then brag and show everyone their "super protective guard dog." Hooray for all those that make people think all gds are bad and scary dogs.

Emily
The Rescue Crew
Diesel 14 wks Blk GSD
Bentley 14 wks Sable GSD
Tasha 2, Shih Tzu
Oskar 3, Sable GSD
Jake 4, Sable GSD
Allie 10, Bi Co GSD
Keller, RIP
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsoskar View Post
Its because of all the irresponsible "owners" out there that get dogs from crappy breeders, keep them tied to a tree for the first 2 years where they have no socialization and become aggressive....then brag and show everyone their "super protective guard dog." Hooray for all those that make people think all gds are bad and scary dogs.
I thought they did that to pitbulls
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Master Member

I try not to let it bother me when people assume my dog is dangerous by virtue of her breed. It does bother me when people insist that she's part wolf.

Does this tiny 55lb dog really look like a wolf to you? [That's an average size ewe there.]

I can't blame other pet owners for taking precautions to protect their dog from *any* dog, regardless of breed. People probably think I'm terrified of Chihuahuas based on my reaction. In reality, it's the owner's stupidity I'm concerned about.

You could try reframing it as "they think my dog is a PSD or PPD because of how well trained and behaved it is", but at the end of the day... GSD owners spend a lot of time biting their tongue in response to the lack of public familiarity with our breed, or dogs in general.

: HCT, CGC
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
yeah i'm from Colorado and the only places i know of that allow leashed dogs in who arent police dogs or service dogs are the pet stores. Chains like Best Buy has a service dog on policy as do most other places.

As far as the responses from other people, its all ignorance. Try to educate. If your dog is friendly and well behaved, it wouldnt hurt to ask them if they'd like to meet your dog. The worst they'll say is no. I know people are usually backing away wide-eyed from my dogs until i ask if they'd like to say hi.
I was surprised as well, I saw a golden retriever in Best Buy with a lady and I asked a clerk if they allow any dog or only service/companion dogs. He said they where dog friendly. I thought that seemed odd but, he told me only the Best Buys in Boulder County allow dogs.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Crowned Member

Oh the wolf thing...it never ends.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
SchDDR, wow that sheep is huge! What an awesome picture, cool dog!

So far no one has said anything negative and no one has voiced anxiety over Remi. Mostly people just tell me he's pretty or cute, but it may change when he's full grown, since he's so dark, people will probably fear him. I'm not too concerned about that, though, because I'm a young woman in a dangerous world. My neighbors all love him, but they're used to GSDs since my neighbor across the street had one for so many years a while back.

I don't think I'd ever take my dog in a Best Buy, if heaven forbid something startled him, or heck even if he just wagged his tail greeting someone, he'd be likely to knock over an LCD TV or something!

Last edited by Larien; 01-19-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Left out the R in the username, xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page