White GSDs in shutzhund or other sports? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

White GSDs in shutzhund or other sports?

I know this is a random question, but why is it there are probably a few, if not no known, white GSDs working in schutzhund or other sports?

I have heard of a few being in agility and herding.

Is this because of the color being a trait not favored for conformation in accordance to the AKC standards? Or are their drives a lot lower as opposed to others?

Texas Lone Star Ranger Black GSD 06/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know. I tend to think the more serious shepherd owners shy away from the white ones.

There was a very nice white dog in utility at the Cleveland show in December.

I do not think white ones lack in energy, the only whites I have ever personally encountered were pretty hyper, but that could definitely be hander induced.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

Just throwing this out there..

Could it be that because most want working lines, and maybe the gene is not as prevelant in the working lines as it is in the showlines?

It could also be because some people who look for the white (not everyone, so please do not take this out of context) are only concerned about the colour and not the working ability of the dog, therefore have no interest in working said dog in any of these venues?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

That's interesting. I wonder why a white shepherd is not commonly used? I wonder if its truly just a discrimination of color? i.e. white does not convey "toughness."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

I've been told by several people and my own experiences have been that White Shepherds lack the drive and personality to do it. They're very friendly. BUT like i said its what i've been told and have observed. Also owners of the white GSDs would better be able to tell you.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Since you can't get full registration with AKC of a white GSD, then you have to participate in Schutzhund as a mixed breed. Not much incentive to do that if you are hoping to compete at the higher levels I would think.
On a personal observation, we have had a few people with white GSDs come out to try and get involved in Schutzhund. The dogs (that we saw here) seemed to have almost no drive and the owners all gave up after 3-4 practices. I'd say in the last 15 years we've probably had about 10 come out.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

I have yet to see a white GSD with enough drive to do SchH. They seem to have pretty much become a separate breed and that's not a workingline type.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I tend to think the more serious shepherd owners shy away from the white ones.
Not sure what was meant by 'serious shepherd owners', I guess people that intend on competing in shutz at a high level? If I wanted to compete in shutzhund at a high level, I would be looking at a west german working line, and it would be pretty hard to find a white dog in those lines I believe.

I'd like to get my pup to the point of competing in Agility trials, he loves it, as do I. His sister had a herding title on her at 7 months and another white shep I know got her large flock title.

Generally, most White Shepherd owners are really into conformation, but of the ones I know, they also put titles on their dogs, even basic ones at the very least. A lot of White Shepherd breeders breed for dogs 'that do it all', they don't want just a pretty white dog, they want dogs that live up to what to what they were created for.

While searching for a breeder, I came across a few that do shutzhund with their white shepherds, but most of those were overseas

Michael

Last edited by unloader; 01-18-2011 at 11:12 PM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Wow, all interesting information.

Quote:
I came across a few that do shutzhund with their white shepherds, but most of those were overseas
I wonder if majority of white GSDs have had their some of their drives bred out of them here in America vs. overseas. Which would explain the reason for so few of them in sports and more of them in conformation.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Master Member

wow, just realized I spelt schutzhund wrong. Long day....

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page