Do Diggers outgrow it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Do Diggers outgrow it?

Do puppies that are diggers every outgrow it or do I see a lot of training coming in the spring?

He loves to dig in the snow banks that the plow leaves at the end of the driveway and he did dig a bit in the backyard before the snow hit. Just sort of hoping that maybe it subsides.

Justin
Kaiser's Papa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Nope. It tends to develop into a habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

Mine have tempered it with age. It helps that I have an area that is OK for digging. It seems to me that they prefer a place against the house or a bank and get so that they dig it out to lay in and occassionally rearrange that space but don't dig much other places. It also has helped if I remember when gardening or doing other yard work, to do the last "work" in an area that they can dig in. I try to pay special attention to that area. (Then so do they!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Crowned Member

Mine still dig. I will say that certain times of the year the digging is worse as they seem to prefer a certain texture and moisture in the dirt. It must feel just right between their toes apparently.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Master Member

Not trying to hijack the thread but this topic reminded me of something I have got to share with you guys. My boy Kain was about 3 mos old when my old lab (Bo) passed away. I was busy digging a grave in the backyard while Kain was sitting next to me just watching in amazement. After a few back breaking minutes of digging, I removed the shovel from the hole to stretch my back. I guess Kain figured that I needed some help, so he jumped into the hole and started digging his little butt off. After a few minutes, he climbed out and I took over. A few more minutes passed, I removed the shovel again, and again Kain jumped in and started digging like crazy. I was more than a little distraught at the time, but I still couldn't help but crack a grin at the little guy's willingness to help daddy. It was almost like he sensed that there was a job to be done and he was gonna help do it. It was at that moment, I realized that although I had just lost a fine companion.......I had gained another.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Rem has been inclined to dig, but when he does it, he's on leash so I do a "leave it," and walk away. They do continue digging. I have a friend whose Pyraneese is such an extreme digger that she just resigned herself to it - the dog kept digging holes under bushes in her backyard, and she kept filling them in. Finally she left one as it was - and the dog lays in it for shade and coolness when it's hot. So it's something she likes doing, and it makes her comfortable and happy, so she lets her dig her holes.

Give him a spot like that that he can freely dig in all he wants, make it fun by making little mounds and hiding things in it. You could make a game out of it, and have some fun, and stimulate him at the same time. You know in spring I may do that...

Edit: RazinKain, what a touching story! How adorable and intuitive for such a young puppy to see that you needed him to help dig, and to help heal your heart. Sounds like an exceptional friend, thanks for sharing that!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Crowned Member

no. I still bust Riley for digging 5 1/2 years later (he's 6). Shasta digs. Shelby Digs. We cant get them to stop. We've tried putting rocks in the holes. Their poo. Pretty much given up and just go and fill in the holes.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Speaking of putting poo in holes, we tried putting it down the mole runs, but they don't seem to mind digging in it either.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Crowned Member

Over the years several of the Hooligans have been diggers, JR was an excavator! A few stopped as they grew older, some never did. Faith is my only digger right now, she goes after moles or something that make mounds in the yard ... I guess they're a tasty treat.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Master Member

Thanks everyone...I see that I will have holes in my yard from now on...lol I thought they would outgrow it. Holes in my yard and dirt on their nose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page