Your experiences with Home Owners Insurance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Your experiences with Home Owners Insurance

We are going to start hunting for a home to buy next month and we don't currently have a dog but we are interested in getting a german shepherd and later down the line adding a rottie. (Just in case anyone remembers my s/o with his mild dog allergies we have found it is a mild allergy to saliva and simply washing up after play and keeping clean should take care of that issue)

Anyway back to my concern about this post. So, many companies don't like to cover dogs like shepherds and rotts? We live in Iowa. I have contacted one farmers office and they say they wont, another said he had no problem with covering any breed except pit bulls. The first office referred me to state farm.

We currently have allstate for our car insurance but intend to have home, car and all else all under one name. I haven't yet contacted allstate, I will eventually. I just want to make sure whoever we go with will cover us when we add those breeds to our household.

I have read a thread or two dealing with this already but nothing that went into much detail. I will be sure to share what I find as our search begins in the next couple of months. Have you guys run into any issues with it? Who do you have an what state? I am wondering if it varies from state to state, or like the example above if its mostly agent to agent. I also wonder if it's a flat rate regarldess of breed or if it is an increase PER dog.

I have also seen insurance offered just for dogs specifically and I wonder if you have that, if companies who otherwise would not insure you, would cover you then? One plan we looked at though was about 50 a month for one dog I believe it was 300000 worth of coverage but honestly I didn't get the details, the fiance' was just browsing at the time.

I am interested to hear your thoughts, experiences and suggestions for companies that you have had too experiences with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

My mom's company wouldn't insure her when she got a gsd but her agent found a company that would- she just had to post on the front door and on the fence that she had a gsd. We have USAA because my husband is ex-military. They don't exclude specific breeds to my knowledge, however, we did send them a copy of the STAR puppy and CGC certificates just to have on file. When you do get your dogs, it's wise to start a kind of resume--a file with all the certificates from training classes, letter from a trainer, etc, just in case anything happens or someone complains, you have documentation that the dogs have been well trained. Good luck house hunting!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

We have insurance through a local company that has no breed restrictions.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 PM

I am in CT and 'had' allstate, notice I said "had", for years on my vehicles. They wanted us to drop our HO, and go with them for everything, I was ok with it, UNTIL, they told me no gsd's. At the time I had 4,,I said, well forget it, they told me i could always get rid of my dogs,,as if that would happen.

They continuously bugged me to switch to allstate, I said as soon as I get in writing, that I have 4 gsd's and you don't have a problem with that, fine..VERY PUSHY..

I finally had to really get nasty and tell them to take me off their mailing/call list, because I was now dumping my auto with them as well..

Right now, I have Peerless, when I started with them, last year, they did send me a questionaire on the breeds of dogs I own,,since I'm down to 2 aussies, and 1 gsd, the gsd has become an honorary malinois)

If I had more than one, I most likely wouldn't 'fib' about the breed, and I'm honestly not sure what peerless policy is on gsd's but I didn't want to chance it..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Crowned Member

We have American Family through a local agent. We have never been asked about dogs/dog breeds. They seem to care more how many computers we have and the screen size of our TV.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Master Member

A few of the companies that *do* restrict certain breeds, make exceptions for dogs that have passed the CGC.

American Kennel Club - Homeowners Insurance Available to Breeds Previously Excluded with CGC Certification

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: HCT, CGC
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

We have Farmers and they have no problems with us having GSDs or with me fostering for the rescue. I'm not sure if it varies by agent or by state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
We have American Family through a local agent. We have never been asked about dogs/dog breeds. They seem to care more how many computers we have and the screen size of our TV.
I just pulled our paperwork and GSD are not on the list, but the following are: Akita, American Pit Bull Terrier, Chow, Rottweiler, Wolf hybrids, a dog that is a mixture containing any of these breeds.

Hope this helps
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Crowned Member

We're with State Farm currently and they know about the dogs (we still had two when we got the insurance) and it was no problem. Before that, we lived in VA and our insurance was through Travelers and they also know about the dogs and no issues.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Elite Member

We have AAA and they have no issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page