Breeder Help (Non GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Breeder Help (Non GSD)

I live in the U.S., Mississippi to be exact.

Before I decided on my current breeder, I found a breeder in my area. However, I was so impressed with what I saw that I knew the price would be sky high, at $2000 or above.

So, I stuck with my current breeder for a few months and one day, today, I was just being curious and I asked the breeder that impressed me how much do they charge for puppies limited
registered.

I was shocked at the price. You charge that much for that much quality?! Then, you're less than 200 miles away and I won't have to pay shipping. I can just come get the puppy!

Here's the problem:

I like my current breeder. I like the fact that she is a trainer, I like the dogs she produces. BUT, her dog's pedigrees aren't as good as the breeder who impressed me. Both breeders have their pros and cons, but I really like both of them.

I need help! Could someone give me a different view of the breeders?

Current breeder: www.echoingwindsiberians.webs.com
Impressive breeder: www.mikaylakennels.com

Someone, help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not all that up on sibes but the impressive breeder has only one dog that's been OFA'd and none of them are titled. I don't see any sign that these dogs have been worked either. So what's so impressive about that?

I did not look at your current breeder's website.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
I'm not all that up on sibes but the impressive breeder has only one dog that's been OFA'd and none of them are titled. I don't see any sign that these dogs have been worked either. So what's so impressive about that?

I did not look at your current breeder's website.
What impressed me was the pedigrees. Lots of CH.

I'm going to think a while on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Elite Member

Couldn't get the first breeders site to open. The "impressive" breeders website had music, which immediately turns me off .
As to the pedigrees, nothing to be impressed about. The 3-4 pedigrees I looked at had champions, but none in the first 2-3 generations. One male had one champion parent, but it was the only non "Mikayla" dog in the pedigree. I don't see a single dog that she has bred that has achieved any titles, so basically a BYB, unless I'm missing something.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Crowned Member

i cant offer any assistance. I'm not a fan of husky's but they both have beautiful dogs. I think this might be a go with your gut kind of thing. Good luck in your dilema!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Crowned Member

I couldn't get Echoing Wind Siberians site to ever come up completely. (They need to use something besides a free site. ) I think I caught a glimpse of something that said they got their first Husky in 2000? Would like to see more of the site but it's not cooperating.

Mikayla Kennels- saw some champs in the pedigree but many were a few generations back. Do you know if Mikayla shows their dogs currently? (just curious)
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

What she said!
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Crowned Member

Girl, you are one of the most indecisive people on the planet!

Ditto on the first breeder's site, but I"m not seeing anything impressive about breeder #2. Stick with your first choice and stop questioning yourself!

Either way--egads! if breeder #2 is over 2K for a dog!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
For those having trouble, I googled the name of the first link and found this:

Home - Echoing Wind Siberians

Have you googled either of these kennels, to see what people are saying? When I was looking for GSDs, the first kennel I looked at seemed okay, until I googled her - and found a lot of negative stuff. Also, have you been to either place?

Right away I see that your current breeder has only been doing this for 10 years - actually, that's when she got her first one, so she hasn't been breeding that long at all. I don't think that's quite long enough, personally, I've only ever bought dogs from people doing it at least twice that long. She can't possibly have accumulated expert knowledge of the breed, showing experience, titled dogs and a lot of litters in that short of time.

Which pup are you considering from the other breeder? The second littler listed has one male available, his father has never even been shown, so I'd pass over him. The first litter listed comes from better stock, both parents have been shown and have won titles. Only he is OFA certed, and it's concerning that none of the others are, because she says the male came from elsewhere - THAT person OFA'd him, she doesn't seem to have her dogs OFA certed, and I think you need to ask her why.

If it were me, first of all I'd continue shopping around, if you haven't finished already. I looked at dozens and dozens of breeders before I got Rem, it took me a long time. If these two are the only suitable options, I'd go with the impressive breeder. Even if the other breeder is a trainer, the puppies are 8 weeks old - she has not trained them, it'll be up to YOU. So I'd go with the impressive pups. I like that Sulley male.

I have a local friend who breeds Siberians. If you still need help, I can ask him what he thinks, so let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Crowned Member

In addition to the other comments, I noticed the Echoing Wind Siberians is breeding a couple dogs registered with APRI (America's Pet Registry, Inc) and CKC which I assume is the Continental Kennel Club.
America's Pet Registry
Continental Kennel Club

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page