How do I get more involved with dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How do I get more involved with dogs?

So how do I get more involved with dogs? I mean, is volunteering at an animal shelter pretty good? What can volunteering teach me? What's something else I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Volunteer to be a Schutzund decoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Is that the person that lets the dog bite their arm? Or is it something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

Yup, that would be it!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

the decoy is the goofball in the bite suit. lol. Its something i've always wanted to experience.

Volunteering you get a chance to see different breeds, handle different breeds, and get to know some of the dogs so you can describe their personality in the event of a possible home. I dont volunteer because i dont have the schedule for it but i also would have a VERY hard time not bringing animals home. By volunteering at a shelter, you get the chance to be with animals but not have the entire responsibility you would if they lived with you. Its a tough job if you love animals because not all make it out and its heartbreaking. You could be a dog walker. theres any number of things. You can volunteer to help out at adoption days for rescues and such.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
That will most definitely get you involved with dogs! Good one!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Okay. I do have a pretty good schedule. I'll look at it and see if I can fit in volunteering at the nearest animal shelter.

As for schutzhund decoy, . . . I don't know if I could handle that. I'm too much of a scaredy cat!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Elite Member

It depends on what you mean by "involved with dogs". Volunteering at a shelter is a good thing to do. It is a way to get involved with the rescue aspect of dogs. But be prepared for many of the people you volunteer with to bash breeding dogs and buying from a breeder (I see you're on a waiting list). Another way to get involved with this aspect of dogs is to volunteer to foster for a breed specific rescue.

If you want to get more involved with the training aspect of dogs, your best bet is to join a training club or find a good private facility and start taking classes with your current dog.

If you are interested in showing, join your local kennel club and volunteer to help with whatever they need you to do. Most KCs need show workers, people to return phone calls, people to help with getting speakers at meetings, ect.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

Good point, Agile. A lot of people involved with shelters and rescues will try to make you feel like buying from a breeder is killing puppies.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member

What you want to gain/learn from your involvement? That might help someone point you in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page