CMT's Pick A Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

CMT's Pick A Puppy

I was watching CMT this evening and Pick a Puppy came on, a couple with children were picking between 3 breeds. They picked the GSD puppy from Brewski's breeder Crosshill Kennels. (it was a Nov show)

Has anyone else watched Pick a Puppy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 AM
Crowned Member

I've watched several episodes of this(there was a marathon on one day), but I wish the host would go away and be replaced with a narrator, or someone who is at least knowledgeable about dog breeds. I find her annoying, and she doesn't really contribute anything to the show other than talking about how cute puppies are. It would be nice if they had a host that actually helped the people pick their puppy by being informative of the breeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Knighted Member

I was disgusted by the show when they had an episode about choosing a poodle mix AKA "labradoodle" from a breeder, with absolutely no mention of shelter or rescue dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
I was disgusted by the show when they had an episode about choosing a poodle mix AKA "labradoodle" from a breeder, with absolutely no mention of shelter or rescue dog.

Good point really!

They could take the family to three rescues of the breeds of their choice, that would probably make a great show.

It would also educate people that their are rescues for all breeds not just your Greyhounds. (though I must say as a former participant in Greyhound Rescue, they are awesome)

I also agree with that Beverly Mahood is not the best choice for the show.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Agree with the breeding of them or not, people like that mix and you're not very likely to find a Labradoodle puppy in a shelter or as a rescue.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
Agree with the breeding of them or not, people like that mix and you're not very likely to find a Labradoodle puppy in a shelter or as a rescue.
I don't know about not being able to find a puppy. Petfinder just returned 367 matches to a search of Poodle-Saskatchewan-Baby. I imagine it would return a whole lot more for a location with more than population 1,000,000.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't know about not being able to find a puppy. Petfinder just returned 367 matches to a search of Poodle-Saskatchewan-Baby. I imagine it would return a whole lot more for a location with more than population 1,000,000.
Ooh, must get rid of migraine soon.... I was trying to picture a "poodle/human baby/Saskatchewan mix" & trying to remember what the Saskatchewan breed looks like.... and marveling that there are so many of them on Petfinder....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
The issue with using Petfinder stats is that they are not very reliable because dogs in shelters are very often misidentified. Also when you view matches on a search, they are not only in your immediate area. For example, when I search Belgian Shepherd for my zip code I get 300 matches. Page one is dogs in NE Ohio or W PA but by page 4 (matches 76-100) I'm getting dogs in Canada, SC, CT and GA and by page 12 (matches 276-300) the dogs are in CA and AK. Of those dogs, a quick glance at the pages shows that very, very few of them are Belgians or even Belgian mixes.

On the same note, when I search for "baby" Standard Poodle matches, I get 40 matches with 2 pages of results. The results on the top fo the first page are in PA but the bottom of the page is already showing matches in NC and the second page is matches in GA, WI, AR, AL MO and CA.

Those matches include:

2 nearly grown purebred standard, certainly not a baby puppies

1 is a 10 month old Labradoodle - again not a baby puppy

6 purebred standards from different groups all over the place, some with adoption fees as high as $500

2 littermate Labradoodles, no age given but again not baby puppies with $400+ adoption fees

1 puppy guessed as a Weimerdoodle

1 adult toy Poodle mix mislabeled as a Standard Poodle mix baby

1 guessed as Goldendoodle/Husky/GSd mixes that looks like a spaniel of some sort

2 shorthaired litters that the shelters are claiming are Labradoodles

1 litter of shorthaired, short eared black puppies the shelter claims are "coondoodles"

1 adopted 4 month old labradoodle puppy

2 accidental whippet/poodle mixes

1 litter of Great Dane mixed with a standard poodle mix

Of these dogs, only 4 of them are even somewhat local to me - the Great Dane mixes.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM

** Comments removed by Admin. PM OP for information **
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Was that the same one where the selling point on the puppy was the dam was a rescue?
Stupid show - not a Beverly Mahood fan at all, hated her group, her individual work and her host work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page