Why is it always Chow? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Why is it always Chow?

Seriously, what is it with people and them saying "He looks like he has a little chow in him."

I've read it several times on here and now I had it happen at Tractor Supply & Petco that somebody was like "Is he purebred? He looks like he has a little chow in him."

He's a puppy for crying out loud, he looks funny, sturdy, his back doesn't fit the front and he's overall just totally cute and lovable and you want to hug him so bad and yes, he's totally purebred. I know his parents personally and I can vouch for him being a GERMAN SHEPHERD AND NOT A CHOW MIX! Darnit!

Chow looks different and has absolutely NOTHING common with a sable working line shepherd puppy... UUUUUGH! Had to get it off my chest.

That somebody is trying to convince me once that I have a mix..okay but twice? Really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Crowned Member

I'm told Stark is a mix all the time because and I quote, "he has too much black on him and his head is too big" end quote.

Yup, my very exspensive, registered mutt.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I'm told Stark is a mix all the time because and I quote, "he has too much black on him and his head is too big" end quote.

Yup, my very exspensive, registered mutt.

one very gorgeous, obviously purebred mutt. I'd be proud to have that mutt. And his head is not too big. Jeez, he's a young male. People should get a grip. I guess they don't realize that his body is still shaping, forming, getting more muscular and bigger... haha.

Can I have your mutt? ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Crowned Member

But Stark is so gorgeous!!

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Ah Stark is so handsome, and when I heard my pup looks like he did at his age I was super excited, if he looks like your guy, I'll be elated - he's GORGEOUS!

Ugh, I hate when people mistake dogs for mutts like that - especially a chow, ew! I hate chows, and I think they're ugly - GSDs are so much more attractive and I don't see how anyone could think a purebred GSD had chow in it! I think people expect GSDs to be the typical black and tan, RinTinTin kind of dogs, I didn't know GSDs came in so many colors until I started researching when I wanted one. Maybe that's the reason, I dunno...

But a chow... wow, can't comprehend that one!

Someone on deviantART once argued with me about Remington - they insisted that he's an English Shepherd, and despite my saying he's clearly a purebred GSD with a pedigree available to see online, she kept "correcting" me to the point where I wanted to reach through the screen and choke her! I think I know what my own dog is!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 AM

I used to breed Chow Chows way back when. A number of people do not know their breeds and will see some GSDs with the large head, wide jaw line/muzzle area, giving them a bit of a Smooth Chow appearance. Your guy is absolutely gorgeous, the only thing I can see that would give one that impression is his jaw line/muzzle area, it is similar to that of a Smooth Chow.

I would love it if Brewski would develop a jaw line like Stark, he looks like I can mean business if I want to so watch your step, well also looking like i could be your best friend ever....
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks guys, Stark is blushing!

If you think Stark's head is big, you should see his father's!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 AM

When my landlord met Texas, before I even told her what breed she was, her response was "I see she might have some shepherd in her and the other is chow, right? Possibly a chow mix with a lab. That's a nice looking mutt." All I did was smile.

Texas Lone Star Ranger Black GSD 06/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 AM
vat
Knighted Member

I am often asked if Max is purebred. Really??? What does he look like he is mixed with I wanna know!

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Knighted Member

Because the pups are cute and fuzzy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page