So FINALLY weighed the dogs.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

So FINALLY weighed the dogs....

Took Riley and Shelby to petsmart to use the scale and get them out. Shasta went last night and got weighed. I dont know their heights yet. Still looking for the tape measure. Anyway i was actually kinda surprised at their weights and just how close they are.

Riley, 6 years old, GSD/Border Collie mix ~ 65 lbs

Shelby, 18 months old, American Showline GSD ~ 59 lbs

Shasta, 8 months old, German WL Dad/just know mom was PB GSD ~ 54lbs.

Hubby and i are definitely thinking Shasta will be around Riley's weight but might end up being taller than him. She's still growing up and she's about 1/2 inch to an inch shorter than he is. Shasta's dad was HUGE and her mom was said to be 60 lbs but made Shelby look tiny in both bone structure and weight. I guess i'm just surprised that they're all so close in weight but such various different ages. But we also have trouble keeping weight on Shelby because she's such a finicky eater. Ideally Shelby could be fine gaining 2-3 more lbs. But Riley is right where he's supposed to be given his size and i made him go on a diet. No more treats for chubs. lol. Shelby needs to gain a couple pounds. Riley needs to NOT gain weight again darn pig dog. Shasta just needs to grow and fill out.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Master Member

Kzoppa,

glad you posted this info. It gave me a basis of comparison for kain. I just took him to the vet 2 days ago and he weighed in at 70 lbs @ 9 months old. He may end up being a big'un, not sure. His growth has definately slowed recently, having only gained 3 lbs in the last 3 weeks. It may just be me, but GSD's always seem alot bigger than what the scale says.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazinKain View Post
Kzoppa,

glad you posted this info. It gave me a basis of comparison for kain. I just took him to the vet 2 days ago and he weighed in at 70 lbs @ 9 months old. He may end up being a big'un, not sure. His growth has definately slowed recently, having only gained 3 lbs in the last 3 weeks. It may just be me, but GSD's always seem alot bigger than what the scale says.

Yeah. Shasta's growth has slowed. I weigh her weekly if possible and in the last two months, she's gained about 4 pounds so she's definitely slowed down. Shelby has filled out since i brought her home 6 months ago and i'm pretty certain she's not going to grow anymore other than gaining the couple pounds i'm trying to put on her. Riley.... he should stay between 65 and 70lbs but that dog loves his food so he's been a challenge lately. It does sound like you're boy is pretty big. I dont think i'd be surprised to find in good body condition he weighs in around 80-85lbs when he's done growing and filling out. I think GSDs are such imposing dogs, even for us, they seem bigger than what the scale says. Shasta's dad was easily 100lbs. he should have been about 110 but they put him on a diet. Who knows. I'm hoping Shasta will be around my Zena's 85-90lb size but i wont know for a while yet.

"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Krystal, they are really close in weight. I guess their pix are deceiving.

So is my Shasta really that big at 8-1/2 months and 72-75 pounds? She looks good-sized but not monstrous when we look at her. Any guesses from anyone where she'll max out weight-wise?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Paula didnt you say her dad was 100+lbs and her mom was around 90? i would guess she'll be around her moms weight if i remember right. but yeah, she's a big girl. I'll look at the dogs every now and then and i'm just like "man you really are big!" and they just look at me like DUH!!! how many times in my life are you going to say that!?!

We used to have people come out of their apartment building back home and stop dead in their tracks and say,"WHOA! Thats a big dog!" and back peddle as fast as they could. Those are usually the times i look at them and realize just how big they are lol

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM

My boy is 8 1/2 months old right now and the vet says he weighs 92lbs and is 28 1/2" tall at the shoulder. I thought it was cool having a big dog until I realized he might have problems later due to his size. Im starting to think a medium sized gsd is better health wise. But it is funny when I tell people his age they just cant believe it lol.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazinKain View Post
Kzoppa,

Yes, it's amazing how quickly their growth comes to a halt.... or slows waaaay down. Also agree that they appear to be heavier than they are. It's always a surprise to see that Abby weighs at least 5 pounds less than I thought. I think that one reason for that is that she moves like she's heavy with that looong bouncing stride.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgollar View Post
My boy is 8 1/2 months old right now and the vet says he weighs 92lbs and is 28 1/2" tall at the shoulder. I thought it was cool having a big dog until I realized he might have problems later due to his size. Im starting to think a medium sized gsd is better health wise. But it is funny when I tell people his age they just cant believe it lol.
Yeah. thats true. lol people find out Shasta is 8 months and they're like "But she's so small!" not really! I'm tempted to take Riley with me when i take Shasta so they have a comparison. Riley is a pretty good sized dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Yes, it's amazing how quickly their growth comes to a halt.... or slows waaaay down. Also agree that they appear to be heavier than they are. It's always a surprise to see that Abby weighs at least 5 pounds less than I thought. I think that one reason for that is that she moves like she's heavy with that looong bouncing stride.
I was definitely surprised to find out how much they all weighed and how close they are. I mean here's the most recent pictures i have of them. To me, they dont look like they weigh what they do! Shasta has that nice deep chest so now we're waiting for her to finish growing up and then see how she fills out.

Shasta

Shelby

Riley

Shelby to me, just looks like she should be around 70lbs the way she carries herself but i can pick her up pretty easily so i'm really not totally surprised she's actually less than she looks. And if i can pick Shelby up i can definitely pick up Shasta. Riley is used to being picked up. Thats something we work on with them in case they ever need to be picked up for emergency purposes.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Yeah. thats true. lol people find out Shasta is 8 months and they're like "But she's so small!" not really! I'm tempted to take Riley with me when i take Shasta so they have a comparison. Riley is a pretty good sized dog.

I was definitely surprised to find out how much they all weighed and how close they are. I mean here's the most recent pictures i have of them. To me, they dont look like they weigh what they do! Shasta has that nice deep chest so now we're waiting for her to finish growing up and then see how she fills out.

Shasta

Shelby

Riley

Shelby to me, just looks like she should be around 70lbs the way she carries herself but i can pick her up pretty easily so i'm really not totally surprised she's actually less than she looks. And if i can pick Shelby up i can definitely pick up Shasta. Riley is used to being picked up. Thats something we work on with them in case they ever need to be picked up for emergency purposes.
Your Shelby has markings very similar to my Abby. As for the deep chest both my last dog and current one had/have deep chests and it's amazing the size of the bark that comes out of them. Abby sounds like she weighs about 150.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Wow, Rem is 4 1/2 months old and weighs 52 lbs... I guess that means he'll be HUGE, because he looks lean, it's not like he's fat or anything... Wow xD His father was massive, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page