What gear to take - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

What gear to take

Just looking for thoughts on what people take when they go hiking with their dogs.

I have always been a hunter and when I hunt I always take either food or protein bars, water, matches, flashlight, rope, knife and other little things that may help me.
Yesterday me and my fiance went on a little hike that was supposed to be 2 hours but it turned into 4 hours because I took a wrong path. We got back to the truck just as it was getting dark and it made me think......wow I'm not that smart going into the woods with nothing but the clothes on my back, next time I will be more prepaired......I know better than this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

It really depends on where I am hiking. When we hike in our area (we have 74 acres behind the house and another 100+ we can access) we don't usually carry anything except maybe water in summer. When we drive out somewhere and hike trails, especially ones we've never been on before, we usually carry a small first aid kit, water, collapsible dog bowl, pocket knife, and maybe some food bars. I don't tend to start worrying about food bars / protein bars / something to eat past a day. Having something to shelter with/under if it starts raining or you get really lost is nice. A poncho does both.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

This list is what the dog is supposed to carry to get a backpacking title from Dog Scouts, but I think most of these are also generally good things to carry when hiking:

first aid kit
water
bowl
spare collar and leash
matches
knife
at least three baggies (for clean-up)
compass
flashlight
owner's I.D.
signal device (mirror, whistle or cell phone)
map of the area (if needed)

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM

For short (2-5 hours) hikes, we pack water for us & for dogs, collapsible water bowls, 2 baggies of treats, extra layer of clothing for humans, snacks for humans, cell phones.

Regen, rescue female GSD born 4/09, adopted 4/30/2010.

aka "Osa," WGSL GSD female born 7/08, brought home 12/24/10.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Gear for Hiking with your GSD

My two Boy'z each have their own Backpack and Dog tent. In their packs they carry all their own stuff- dog food, water (about 2 liters), cloth dog bowl, rawhides, etc. They also carry extra water for me, emergency rations for them and me, first aid kit, and their leashes and cable tie out I only use the cable tie out when I am in populated area where it is required; otherwise I just drive a stake in near their tent and leash them to that so they can come and go into their tents as they need. Bought it all at REI, inc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Makre sure the first aid kit has vetwrap and non stick gauze. I also carry some ice packs (the kind you activate), a bottle of sterile saline eyewash (it is about a pint) and a thermometer (for the dog) in my kit.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Makre sure the first aid kit has vetwrap and non stick gauze. I also carry some ice packs (the kind you activate), a bottle of sterile saline eyewash (it is about a pint) and a thermometer (for the dog) in my kit.
This.
We also carry regular gauze wrap, and have switched to Kerlix AMD which is really nice. Powerflex and coflex are sometimes less expensive alternatives to the vetwrap and I think work better. Coban is a really nice one too. Some sort of elasticon or VEAT, and biozide gel.

Probably a bit much for short hikes, but we spend a LOT of time in the woods..........
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Do they survive better in a pack? Vetwrap (I buy the off brand) often sticks to itself and is impossible to unstick once it has been crushed at all. I tell you, that type of material is great for rapid first aid! Use it more on me than the dogs.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page