I think we're moving from Colorado Springs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I think we're moving from Colorado Springs

to Fairbanks, Alaska! We got notification that the hubby is on "assignment instruction" and it can take from 14 days to a month or more until we see orders, but that's the word. Husband is Army, BTW.

Holy crap. The report date is the end of June. That doesn't seem long enough really.

Anyone have any experience with Alaska? If decent food is available there? In my mind, Orijen should be cheaper but I have no idea honestly.

I know cold weather is hard on a dog with hip dysplasia, but what about extreme cold like that? Or do lower temps not matter once they reach a certain temp?

Do you need a passport to travel though Canada? What about the dogs? What info will we need for them?

I'm feeling so overwhelmed. I think it will be a great experience to live there. It just seems ridiculously expensive to live there, most retailers charge more to ship there even though I think USPS' rates are the same as the CONUS so that worries me about dog food and supplements. It's a small(er) town (80,000 people), I think so I don't know how good veterinary care is and if the prices are astronomical or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You do need a passport to travel through Canada. It used to be that proof of citizenship in the form of a birth certificate (and a copy of your marriage certificate if your current last name didn't match your birth certificate), but that was changed a couple of years ago.

Sorry, can't help you with the rest of it. We did visit Alaska in August on a cruise, and it's beautiful, but I don't know what it's like to live there.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 PM

I wish I could go to Alaska..one day Until then..off to Southern Texas I go.

Good luck, it's beautiful up there! I think you can take a ferry from Seattle to AK without a passport. This way you can get your vehicle up there, enjoy a boat ride and yeah..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well nothing is certain yet. All military folks know that nothing is certain until you have orders in hand and even then it can change.

I somehow doubt we can take a ferry with two cats and two dogs although I'm not entirely sure. I know when I took a ferry from Tsawwassen, B.C. to Victoria, B.C. I had to leave my dog in the car the entire time which wasn't OK with me. That was about a 90 minute trip. I can't imagine the length of time it will take to get from Seattle/Bellingham/Anacortes (wherever it departs from) to Haines or however far we can get.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Master Member

I went to Alaska for 6 weeks fly fishing in 2002 with my Dad . We fished the Kenai and then flew up to the Arctic Circle and stayed with Phil Driver at the Midnight Sun Lodge. Massive arctic char , moose jerkey and brown bears everywhere. It was heaven for a fly fisherman and if you are a hunter.....well......it is Nirvana.For this Australian it was a trip of a lifetime and something I will never forget.

Stock photo of a Kivalina Arctic Char. ( My PB went 37" !! )

My catch line after that trip was " Every man should go to Alaska once in his life...." .I tried to get over there to work but it was after 9/11 and no-one was getting in to the US. Alaska is truly an incredible place and I felt like I was in a COUNTRY not a state of the US.

The only thing I would find hard over there is the 23 hours of sun / dark in summer / winter. We were there in Summer and drank pints of beer at the Anchorage Arms at 2am and I got sun burnt for gawd sake !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

Last edited by kidkhmer; 01-12-2011 at 08:48 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Elite Member

Lucky! We actually just got back from CS ,but would love to visit or live in Alaska! I have friends there and they love it. They told me they use an artificial potty area indoors (pool with dirt in it) for those really bad days, but they have smaller dogs.
My other friend has GSD in Canada with -35 and she said her dogs are fine. She laughs at me when I say 25 degrees is cold haha I'm sure the same is for Alaska.
I'll bet you will love it! I just know the darkness and light all day is weird in some areas.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Crowned Member

Fairbanks is relatively mild. A friend went to Fairbanks the year I went to Bozeman. Bozeman was lots colder!
Once upon a time all you needed to get in & out of Canada/USA was your driver's license! But you did need a health certificate (esp. showing current rabies vacination) for the dogs.
That's a heck of a drive. You may want to look at the ferries anyway. Or flying.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

oh wow. we just FINALLY got orders today to get the heck out of NC. I had a friend who lived in Alaska and they loved it. They just said make sure you have HEAVY blankets and a decent stock pile of emergency supplies JUST IN CASE. Like portable heaters that dont need electricity to run and all. Watch out for Moose, especially around halloween as they love pumpkins. they also said to have spare winter coats.... even for the dogs. i've always wanted to go to Alaska but i dont know if i could handle it lol. as far as what you need for the animals to get there, i've no idea so i apologize for being no help. We're going to be in the springs around the 30th.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page