Neutering my GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Neutering my GSD

I just got a 4 month old puppy from rescue. He is scheduled to be neutered at the end of feruary. Ive heard conflicting stories about stunting there growth and drastic behovioral chnges....Any information would be great! I had GSD growing up but the males were never neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 AM

No you do not really need to.
If you are confident you can control and contain an intact male then go for it.
Dogs do not have an attachment to their reproductive organs, and you shouldn't have an attachment to them either! Make sure if you decide NOT to go ahead, you're doing it because you don't see the benefits and not because you feel sorry for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Crowned Member

For males, it is best to wait until they are mostly grown. Early removal of the testicles can result in longer legs and a feminization of facial features. The testosterone does play a part in the growth process, so if you can wait to do the neuter until your pup is a year or two years old, that is the ideal time frame to have it done.

We have not noticed any behavioral changes following Niko's neuter.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM

For most rescues, isn't neutering part of the adoption contract? Or don't they neuter/spay their dogs before adopting them out, if that were the case...would it be better to adopt an older dog who wasn't neutered too early?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

If you do decide to neuter I would wait until your male is 1.5-2 years old.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

You'll have to comply with the adoption agreement, but if it allows for the option of waiting I would also wait. My vet recommends 9 mos at the earliest and prefers 16-18 mos but before 2 yrs old. Thanks for giving the pup a home! What's his name?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Boby View Post
No you do not really need to.
If you are confident you can control and contain an intact male then go for it......
Sorry, but no.

If you're not intending on breeding down the road to IMPROVE the breed, there is no reason why you shouldn't neuter/spay your dog.

Last edited by Deuce; 01-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
You'll have to comply with the adoption agreement, but if it allows for the option of waiting I would also wait. My vet recommends 9 mos at the earliest and prefers 16-18 mos but before 2 yrs old. Thanks for giving the pup a home! What's his name?
I agree with Stosh. If you can wait, hold out until at least 18 months to allow him to fully grown and mature. If you have to neuter sooner then comply with your agreement and do so. It's not going to hurt him
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Sorry, but no.

If you're not intending on breeding down the road to IMPROVE the breed, there is no reason why you shouldn't neuter/spay your dog.
There are alot of people on here that have GSD's that are not spayed or neutered and have never had a litter of puppies and never will.

Some people feel that there is not enough information out there to convince them that spaying and neutering is healthier than leaving them intact.

(My GSD is neutered and so are 2 out of 3 of my cats)

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
There are alot of people on here that have GSD's that are not spayed or neutered and have never had a litter of puppies and never will.

Some people feel that there is not enough information out there to convince them that spaying and neutering is healthier than leaving them intact.
I know and I don't personally agree with it. It's healthier to fix them...I don't know how much more "proof" people need to be convinced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page