Prospective Landlord would want dogs fixed. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Prospective Landlord would want dogs fixed.

Advice or possible reasons? I am trying to find a place to live that's dog friendly and I'm going to look at several places tomorrow. One place that I'm going to look the landlord requires the dogs to be spayed or neutered. The only reason I can think why is if people lose their dogs and unwanted litters occur. Inwas thinking maybe unaltered dogs cause insurance to go up. I'm probably not going to get the place because I'm not getting my dogs neutered for another 4 months. Can any of you think of specific reasons why the landlord would want the dogs spayed or neutered or just personal preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Maybe someone uninformed or with bad experiences with dogs that mark in the house or bleed all over the place?? Could just be someone who feels strongly about spay/neuter...

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

I didn't even think of bleeding or marking. That makes sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Master Member

Im in the same boat as you. It's hard to find somewhere that will take 2 large dogs. My husband and I are looking also!

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
I think when landlords don't want in tact dogs or no pets at all, it's because of the PEOPLE, not the pets, I've known landlords who love animals, but as we all know, people can be less than great. You're a good person, and we know that, but a renter can't be sure. He may have had bad experiences in the past, which could be any number of things:

- Someone's in tact dog marked the entire apartment,or their bitch bled everywhere, and when the crappy owner left, he realized none of it had been cleaned. Now he has a costly cleanup job before he can rent it out again.
- Someone's dogs had puppies. Said puppies proceeded to pee and poop all over the apartment, and bark and whine at all hours of the night, irritating the other tenants, and they make the whole place stink. Especially if these hypothetical owners are like the ones above and don't clean up.
- Someone's in tact dog howls and barks a lot and/or is aggressive toward other people and other pets because of his desire to mate. Maybe Mr. Jones' kid got bitten and he's going to sue, or Mrs. Smith's poor poodle got a rude awakening from behind one morning - now she's threatening to leave. Lol.
- Someone's unspayed female is fighting with spayed females, possibly injuring them. More suits and threats to leave.

So there are so many reasons why this person would be against in tact dogs at his building. I've seen apartments left totally trashed by pets, with feces and urine EVERYWHERE, and that's the reason many landlords ban pets completely. It's understandable, but it's unfortunate for you, but perhaps you could try explaining the situation, and maybe even sign a guarantee that you will neuter the dog in 4 months? Worth a shot? Good luck to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Crowned Member

There is also the thinking that people with fixed dogs are more responsible than with unfixed dogs, hence better renters.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Generally, the security deposit is not given until such time that a lease is executed. However, if security deposit is deposited with the landlord, the prospective tenant is entitled to receive the security deposit back if she changes her mind before the execution of the lease agreement. The following provision of State of Ohio's Landlords and Tenants Act applies to security deposits pertaining to lease agreements.

|
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Elite Member

I think it's a good idea on the landlords part. If you think about it, they don't have to accept dogs at all so to even consider a large dog is a good step in your direction. It may have to do with unwanted litters, it may have to do with marking/bleeding. I'd ask him/her if I were seriously interested in the place the specific reasoning for that clause.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

It could be political - they so strongly feel that all dogs should be spayed or neutered that they will not allow their renters to own intact animals. That's why so many shelters and rescues won't adopt out to homes with intact dogs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Master Member

All those landlords that require it can kiss my a$$. Im not snipping my 2 boys for nothing. Im sure you can find another place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page