What are your thoughts about this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

What are your thoughts about this?

My sister is looking at a 4 month old f GSD who is being rehomed. She asked her favorite dog trainer for her thoughts and this is her email reply:

"I will tell you that a GSD would not be my first choice. We have more GSD's enrolled in Growl classes than any other breed. So many of them are skittish, hyper reactive... But you did have a good one so they are out there. Can't you just get a cockapoo? ;-)"

The good one she refers to is in reference to mine. I can't say these adjectives should ever apply to a GSD. But I am aware that American lines are trending this direction. Isn't it more likely that a GSD is too much dog for someone not prepared for putting in the time? They are too smart and active to be without mental stimulation and exercise. And perhaps this trainer is seeing the problems that develop when the dog lacks good leadership? People haven't done the work and now seek help to correct bad behaviors?

Please comment, I'm curious.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Crowned Member

What the heck? There is such thing as a "growl class"?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Growl classes are for reactive dogs.

Do you know anything about this pup - pedigree or what lines, why it's being rehomed? Can you find out what kind of socialization it's had?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

my first guess is that the majority of the GSDs are BYB dogs. So they are skittish and fearful. Plus, most dogs in those classes don't go until they are already a problem.

so, guess that I agree with you.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
my first guess is that the majority of the GSDs are BYB dogs. So they are skittish and fearful. Plus, most dogs in those classes don't go until they are already a problem.

so, guess that I agree with you.
I agree

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Master Member

When I told the trainer I work with I was looking into getting a GSD, she told me to be very careful where I went to get one and to really look into the breeder because she saw alot of skittish, fearful, hyper GSD's in her classes and at shows.
She didnt' say a good one couldnt' be found just to be very careful where I went to get mine.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I have advised to find out and research the breeder. The dog was purchased by a family who have 3 kids, the youngest a baby. They are overwhelmed with raising a puppy and keeping the baby from getting knocked down and such. They admit they took on too much and now wish to rehome the dog. They said they drove 6 hours to get it because they were impressed with the breeder. They claim they paid much more than what they now ask, which is $350. She is AKC, vaccinated and spayed. Dog has been exposed to cats, other dogs, and kids. She is 30 lbs and very sweet looking. My sister asked to meet her at a hectic pet supply store before exercise so she could witness it at it's worst. Lots of distractions and pent up energy. Puppy was reasonably wild, but has earnest eyes and is. of course... adorable.
I've seen pics of the parents, and they look like fine examples, in my non professional opinion.
I can post the pics for input I suppose.

But more, I was just surprised to hear the trainer use this description regarding GSDs. It bothers me. I just don't think the trainers comments should ever apply to the breed.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggydog View Post
"I will tell you that a GSD would not be my first choice. We have more GSD's enrolled in Growl classes than any other breed. So many of them are skittish, hyper reactive.
Sadly, that has also been my experience with rehomes showing up in obedience class.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

ANY lines where the breeder does not know good temperament, does not test good temperament, does not have others give input on what they are seeing with the dogs' temperament, who does not understand genetics, the lines, the history and purpose of the breed, etc. can result in these types of GSDs.

And all people who are just puppy producers do this too, but sometimes are breeding two nice (perhaps not of type - more Goldenish) pets and luck out.

That's why either going with a breeder who is a student of the breed, or going with a rescue that lets you work with them to find your match is a great way to get a German Shepherd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Here's dame, sire, and puppy. Of course temperament can not be judged by a photo.
Another litter she was going to look into I nixed right away. The "breeder" saws she has an ACA papered female and her neighbor has an unpapered purebred and the dogs liked each other so they decided to have a litter. UGH! 9 puppies. I think this would be a terrible idea and also I couldn't support this breeding "program"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5172.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	5483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	5484   Click image for larger version

Name:	dam.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	5485   Click image for larger version

Name:	sire.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	5486  

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page