Compatibility issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Compatibility issues

I have a small - 65 lbs, rescue, black and tan, GSD, spayed female, about two years old. Bella by name. I have had her for about three months and she is a love. I can launch a ball, take walks and play tug with her but I don't think that is enough exercise for her. When she plays with other dogs she gets more exercise in a few minutes than I can give her in an hour's worth of play with me.

I have been toying with the idea - a dangerous concept for me - of another GSD in the spring. I have been reading on rescue sites things like. '... should be placed in a home with a dominant male. Or... should be the only animal in the house.' Bella is definitely a dominant girl. I have never seen her in a play situation where she wasn't mounting, mouthing the other dog's throat with the other dog on its back or hitting them with her paws. She always seems to prevail. I joke that some dog should knock her on her butt to let her know she can't always be the boss.

So the question becomes what temperment of dog should I look for? Submissive male or female? Dominant male or female? Older or younger? I don't have a clue and would like to have our potential living situation work. I would also like to rescue the potential partner.

The manifest objective is exercise. Maybe.. Just maybe mind you ... I would like to have a second dog.

Many Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Personally, I would be looking for an easy going male. If Bella is a very "in charge" female, she may not take kindly to another female in her home and you don't want a male that would come in and push her around.

Ideally, the new dog would be either older or younger and not the same age as Bella. That decision depends on Bella, the other dog and your lifestlye. You don't want a young dog that might push Bella around when it matures or would be too active for you. At the same time you don't want an old dog that doesn't want anything to do with Bella and can't keep up (if that's your lifestlye).

A reputable rescue will discuss with you in more detail about your lifestyle and experience as well as Bella's needs. They will work with you to find the right dog for your home. Definitely meet the dog a few times with Bella on neutral ground before committing to them.

Thank you for wanting to rescue. Best of luck in your search when the time comes!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Knighted Member

I always had male/female with no problems. Unless we have 3 dogs. This is the 2nd time I have 3 dogs both times it was 1 male 2 females. I'm sure if you had a few meetings with the new dog you would be able to tell if they can get along.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Raven. A laid-back male would probably be your best bet. But think long and hard about whether you want another dog; don't just get one for Bella. Also, 65lb is the perfect size for a female GSD. She's not "small" at all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

My very dog dominant (not people dominant) female who was HUGELY socialized is terrible with other females (also referred to as same sex aggression) regardless of the other dogs temperament (dominant, submissive, etc). But she is EXCELLENT with males both submissive and dominant. She doesn't bother them at all, and even plays with them.

Personally, I would look for a laid back male.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page