Mouthy - how much longer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mouthy - how much longer?

I've read a lot about GSD's being mouthy as pups, Bella is over 8 months and all she does is bite our hands, knees, back, still. Does this ever end? Do they grow out of it? I mean unless we keep her busy with stuff to chew, she's ok but as soon as we take it away, she continues with the biting/playing?

She's been fantastic in training but when not in training she's a handful. She doesn't chew on furniture or any other items for that matter, she's a great dog but the biting is slowly getting to me. Please tell me this ends at some point in time? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

Wolfie just turned 1 year old and still gets mouthy at times. Mostly when he's excited or wants to play. I will have to say that he has been significantly better about not biting in the past month. I think I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
Wolfie just turned 1 year old and still gets mouthy at times. Mostly when he's excited or wants to play. I will have to say that he has been significantly better about not biting in the past month. I think I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.
Jacek-Mac just turned 1 year old too...and everything Wolfiesmom said is exactly the same for Mac. It will get better....I promise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

Your dog is plenty old enough to put a stop to this. There is no excuse for a dog that age to still be biting and I would correct him for it.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
...I mean unless we keep her busy with stuff to chew, she's ok but as soon as we take it away, she continues with the biting/playing?
I'm just curious. Why do you take her chew toys away? For Mac, we always allow access to his chew toys...kongs etc. Not saying I'm right or anything. I'm not an expert. I'm learning too
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Elaine. Step up the leadership and stop the biting. The dog is way past the puppy oral stage and should know the appropriate things to chew, you are not one of them! Crate her when she gets in the mode and tell her no bite when you are bringing her there. Don't make a huge deal of it, just matter of factly give her a time out.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Your dog is plenty old enough to put a stop to this. There is no excuse for a dog that age to still be biting and I would correct him for it.
Agree 100%, Rambo is only 6 months old and hasn't been excessively bitey for a good 2 months or so. He knows whats his and what he's allowed to chew, he also knows there's a time for play and a time to sit still.

Key is redirecting--we started this as soon as we got him at 8 weeks old. He should have certain things available to him at all times to chew on. When he's biting, firmly say no, and place one of his chew toys in his face and let him go at that.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
Maybe I just have less patience and urge my pups to grow up faster but, a 1 year old is WAY to big, in my opinion, to be at all mouthy on anything but his toys.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Ok to go along with this question...we are encouraging bite-inhibition and not bite-prohibition. Does this encourage the mouthy stage to last longer? The reason I ask is because Frankie does the same thing as Bella, though he is much younger. He doesn't chew on any inappropriate items just nips at our hands and especially my four year old. We have just been using the "Ouch!" and redirecting with toys and a short crate time as a last resort when he just is too hyped up. Sorry to add another question into your thread Jacek...just sounds like what we will be up against in a few months

Lindsey

S Frankie v. Baerental
9-19-2010
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
AGREED!! Our puppies will continue what comes naturally to them until we redirect or show them what is and what is not acceptable.
After a puppy is done teething there is no reason for all the mouthing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page