Thinking of rescuing a GSD...need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of rescuing a GSD...need advice

Hello

Brand new member to the forum and have never owned a gsd or a dog before, although i've grown up with med-large sized dogs all my life. So this is the current situation: we own a 3000+sq foot house, have a mid sized fenced in backyard (6 foot high fence), there are a couple of trails within walking distance and hiking is available with a short (~1hr) drive, dog parks are within walking/driving distance. We are willing to walk our future GSD twice a day for about 3-5 miles, my brother is on the cross country team and in the summer, my friends and I go hiking fairly often. We're willing to join an obedience class and we have a bunch of dog friendly family friends nearby and pet stores so socialization shouldn't be a problem.

But our neighbour who currently has a GSD mix and whose parents own a european line GSD has been telling us that we shouldn't get a GSD, that a GSD is too much for us to handle. So i'm here asking for advice, if what they say is really true, then we'll switch our breed choice but right now, we really believe it's a doable situation. Also, we're looking at a 1 year old male, haven't met the dog yet, but the neighbour is warning us away from it already.

Please advice.

Last edited by amaris; 01-06-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Sounds great!! I son't see why your neighbour can handle and his parents can handle a GSD, but you can't? Especially since you are active and will be exercising the dog well?

Why specifically does he thing a GSD will be too much to handle for you?

Adopting an older male is perfect. A one year old is still a puppy though, so lots of energy, lots of wanting to play with you. In addition to planning on walks and socialization, line up some good training classes. Even if the dog already had the basic puppy classes, taking classes with you will strengthen your bond, teach you all about dog training, get him out for socialization, and because it is fun!

Do you know what type of GSD the one year old is, and anything about his background?

Some are very mellow and easy to live with, others are more high energy and a bit more challenging, but if you are comitted, neither should be a problem.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaris View Post
Hello

Brand new member to the forum and have never owned a gsd or a dog before, although i've grown up with med-large sized dogs all my life. So this is the current situation: we own a 3000+sq foot house, have a mid sized fenced in backyard (6 foot high fence), there are a couple of trails within walking distance and hiking is available with a short (~1hr) drive, dog parks are within walking/driving distance. We are willing to walk our future GSD twice a day for about 3-5 miles, my brother is on the cross country team and in the summer, my friends and I go hiking fairly often. We're willing to join an obedience class and we have a bunch of dog friendly family friends nearby and pet stores so socialization shouldn't be a problem.

But our neighbour who currently has a GSD mix and whose parents own a european line GSD has been telling us that we shouldn't get a GSD, that a GSD is too much for us to handle. So i'm here asking for advice, if what they say is really true, then we'll switch our breed choice but right now, we really believe it's a doable situation. Also, we're looking at a 1 year old male, haven't met the dog yet, but the neighbour is warning us away from it already.

Please advice.

GSD's have different drives. Some are laid back and have low energy, some require and hour or 2 of exercise a day and have medium energy and some need alot of exercise and are always on the go with high energy.

Since this would be the first dog that you own on your own then I would adopt a calm, laidback GSD from a shelter that is 2 years old or older.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

I think you sound like a great adoptive home. Is the dog in a foster home? A good foster family will be able to match you with their foster dog. They'll tell you if the dog is too much for a first-time GSD owner, but many are not. We all have to start somewhere!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

My first real dog is an adopted adult GSD. We do not have the fencing that you do and my dear Wolf spends most of the day supervising traffic on our block from his second floor window. He is by no means a "normal" GSD. He is not the perfect GSD, but he is perfect for us. This is the critical part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
A good foster family will be able to match you with their foster dog. They'll tell you if the dog is too much for a first-time GSD owner
The rescue and gifted foster really understood Wolf, what he needed, and what should be avoided. If you can receive this kind of detailed information about a dog, you sound like you have a great home for the right dog.

Good luck.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum! Why would your neighbor tell you the you could not handle a GSD?? I believe anybody can handle a GSD IF they are willing to put forth the effort required. That means exercising, training and socializing the dog on a regular basis. And it seems you are willing to do this. Plus you apparently have more than enough space.

Going through a rescue is a great place to start. They can match you with the type of dog you are looking for and they have lots of great dogs that need homes. Good Luck with your search!

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Since you're ready & willing to adopt a GSD, I sure as heck wouldn't listen to anything a neighbor says! IMO, the GSD is about the best breed there is, but they certainly take a lot of time & energy.

We adopted our Ziva 4 months ago from a local Rescue. (I wouldn't go to a pound). Be aware that all Rescues are not necessarily honest about the dogs they place. Understand they get a LOT of dogs & some are pushed thru the system. The Rescue here told us Ziva was 2 yrs old; but, since she has continued to grow, we think they were off. & that's OK. They also said she was semi-trained on a leash & she was great with cats. Well, those were outright mistruths. They'd been giving her Benadryl (to calm her). Once she was off that, her true personality came thru. She's very high-energy & had no manners. Obedience training is fun with her & she learns quickly - she's just very stubborn! She thinks cats are chew toys, so that's gonna take more time & training (we have 4 housecats). We wouldn't trade her for the world.

I don't even think the size of your house & yard are as important as your dedication to having the best, happiest dog ever. And it appears you have that desire. We have a small house & yard, but have found ways to exercise her legs off until she lies down for a nice nap!

Tell your neighbor to mind his/her own business. Best of Luck with your new Baby Boy!

Becky
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
We adopted our Ziva 4 months ago from a local Rescue. (I wouldn't go to a pound). Be aware that all Rescues are not necessarily honest about the dogs they place. Understand they get a LOT of dogs & some are pushed thru the system. The Rescue here told us Ziva was 2 yrs old; but, since she has continued to grow, we think they were off. & that's OK. They also said she was semi-trained on a leash & she was great with cats. Well, those were outright mistruths. They'd been giving her Benadryl (to calm her).
Just an FYI to the OP and to Oliver's mama (and everyone else reading this thread). A good reputable rescue does not just push dogs through or place them without being completely honest and knowing their true personality. It is just as important to research the rescue you are working with as it is to research a breeder.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Master Member

To the OP
Since you are researching this topic before you get the dog you are on the right track for being "ready" for a GSD. It looks like you are considering the right things.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaris View Post
Hello

Please advice.
Listen, I'm a first time dog owner and I started with a GSD. And it was the best decision we ever made. There have been struggles and lifestyle changes on our part, but the joy he's brought to our lives outweighs the "work" . And, you sound much more informed and prepared than we were. I say go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page