Hubby wants to get another dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hubby wants to get another dog

And its not another GS. He wants to get a Jack Russell. I have never owned a terrier breed. I'm on the fence about this cause I've dealt with some sweet and some nasty. Does anyone own one besides a GS? I'm not worried about Kane, he gets along with all dogs. My hubbys boss has a couple of them, never met them though. I'm a big dog kind of gal. I don't know..... Any input would be helpful.
Heres Kane, with his girl Pearl. So, I'm not really worried with him with small dogs.

~ Jess ~

"Kane" 2-12-09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.”
Cesar Milan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

My friend's grandma had one for almost a year and it bit anyone that came near it, they had to put her to sleep.

My co worker had one for almost 6 months and she described it as "the energizer bunny that mixed energy drinks and cocaine together" she dropped him off at a shelter.

Other than that I dont know anyone that has one and I haven't been around any. But Wishbone was adorable.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Master Member

If you don't want one then put your foot down. You know, like Lysistrata.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniballer View Post
If you don't want one then put your foot down. You know, like Lysistrata.
lol.

~ Jess ~

"Kane" 2-12-09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.”
Cesar Milan
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

I am with you, not a small dog person.

As long as your DH is willing to put in the time, energy and care for "HIS" dog, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Oh, and there are some fun things you can try with a JR, such as lure coursing or earth dog, or agility.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

We adopted one years ago. The people who had the dog 1st couldn't control him, and stated he couldn't be potty trained. He was two when we got him. The rescue sent all of his belongings with him....bed, carrier, toys, clothes, etc. etc. etc. I think this dog was just spoiled to death.

From day 1 he was my hubby's dog. He really liked hubby. Very vocal dog, would growl when you moved him off the furniture or if you moved in the bed and moved him. Growl when you picked him up to put him outside and he didn't want to go...very vocal. We had him nearly 6 years and he NEVER bit anybody. Never even snapped - he was just vocal. He never met a stranger and loved kids. He did have a lot of energy and would fetch a ball until he dropped of heat stroke (nearly did once with the kids). He could shred a new tennis ball in a manner of seconds. But never chewed up anything that didn't belong to him.

He never started a dog fight but certainly wouldn't back down from one either. He was a huge dog in a tiny dog suit. I was ill once and only then did he stick to me like glue. Once I was better, he went back to hubby.

The dog only went to the bathroom in our house once. One night hubby made him mad by taking away a new ball. We all went to bed and as normal the dog slept next to hubby under the blanket. That night I woke up with hubby yelling like a loon. "What the #@ll is this?..What is this?" In his hand he was holding a dog turd. It took him a second to realize what it was before he flung it across the room. The dog had actually pitched a tent UNDER the blanket and pooped right next to hubby. Never in my life have I ever heard of a dog doing that UNDER a blanket. We still tell that story every time we meet someone with a JRT, and they have no doubt the dog did it because he was mad!

The bad side of the dog was that he ate everything that found. Dust balls, bugs..anything. It was very difficult to keep him at a healthy weight. My folks were down visiting and my dad dropped medication he takes for his heart. The dog rushed in and ate as many as he could before my dad could respond. I was in the barn when my mother came to get me. We rushed him to the vet, but it was too late. I know now that a solid "EH!" could have saved him. Now all my dogs know....

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Elite Member

I have a JRT and he is awesome. You do have to be really careful - don't get a dog from a pet store or BYB, go to a good breeder. Check the JRTCA site for some good info...
Jack Russell Terrier - JRTCA - Jack Russell Terrier Club of America Home Page

Gizmo is a sweetheart, he loves everyone and I would love to get him into therapy dog work in the future because he just has an awesome personality. He is super smart, and learns things amazingly fast but he's not as willing to work for me as my GSD's unless I have treats That's my only complaint about him.
Our GSD's love him and are constantly trying to get him to play but 90% of the time he just ignores them. He is okay with strange dogs, and won't start a fight, but if they start he will try to finish it even if they are 10x his size :P

He has a huge amount of energy but that's not a problem for me, since my GSD's are the same way and I wanted a dog who could keep up with them.

JRT's are not a breed for everyone, and if you really don't like them I would try to talk your husband out of getting one. My husband is pretty flexible and he isn't a small dog person either but he trusted my judgement with Gizmo and he loves him now. But that's not something I'd suggest for everyone! In the spring you could try going to JRTCA shows in your area to meet more JRT's and make contacts with breeders if you decide to get one. But don't rush into anything - a bad JRT is a nightmare!

Here is my little guy, he is 13" and about 15 lbs.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM

I have a JRT/Fox Terrier mix that is 11 years old. He is still very spunky, alive and can hang with the big boys. They are definitely not for everyone, but he has been very loyal and protective of our family (nobody can come around the house without him knowing).

Echo Von Schwarzwald......6/25/2010

Sarge vom Buchonia 5/20/2011

Jackson-----------JRT 2/14/2000
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

my brother had one....it NEVER stopped running, jumping and acting crazy. I strongly advise against it

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
My friend has a Jack Russell and that little guy is all personality and super fast in agility. He is such a ham...get him in the ring and he is "on." He doesn't like anything better than being in the spotlight. He's a great little dog with the heart of a lion.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page