Is this enough space for a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Is this enough space for a GSD

Hi all,

Im hoping on getting a GSD soon and hope my house can provide ample space.

I know the inside of my house should be fine. 3 levels and around 3000SQ, but my back yard is a bit of a concern. I cannot build a fence around my yard but i do have a fenced off area that is around 20x 40 with a 4 foot fence.

I know the height is not going to hold him in and i hope the area is enough just for quick potty breaks. From what i have been researching im now aware that my GSD will need at LEAST a good walk a day with play time between the days.

I plan on doing sometype of training and would like to commit at least a week at a local club by my house.

I guess im just wondering will if my GSD will have enough space and exercise to be happy???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Elite Member

IMO its not about how much space you have, but how you use it. For example, I have a little less than 1000 ft. However, I don't use the 'dining room' so its completely empty and guess why? Its my dog training room!

I think your GSD will be very happy. I think people place too much importance of this type of stuff. Really, I'm more concerned about quality of life than square footage
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 AM

As long as you provide enough exercise and mental stimulation, you should be fine. What matters is the bond you two have; your dog does not care about your square footage, he probably only care about being with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Banned

1>>> plenty of room.

2>>> for breaks this area is ok.

3>>> never leave your dog unattended.

4>>>> walk him as much as possible. there are games you can play indoors.
you can play with your dog anywhere.

5>>>> committing to a week of training is merely a blink of the eye compared what you need to committ too.

6>>>> your house is a shelter for your dog. you exercise on walks. you can walk anytime. you can go outside to play anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc994 View Post

1>>> I know the inside of my house should be fine. 3 levels and around 3000SQ, but my back yard is a bit of a concern.

2>>>> I cannot build a fence around my yard but i do have a fenced off area that is around 20x 40 with a 4 foot fence.

3>>>> I know the height is not going to hold him in and i hope the area is enough just for quick potty breaks.

4>>>> From what i have been researching im now aware that my GSD will need at LEAST a good walk a day with play time between the days.

5>>>> I plan on doing sometype of training and would like to commit at least a week at a local club by my house.

6>>>> I guess im just wondering will if my GSD will have enough space and exercise to be happy???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Master Member

We have 6 people including 2 kids and Shadow in a house that is 1100 sq.ft. My MIL doesn't like dogs so Shadow spends his indoor time in my 10x 15 bedroom. As long as he gets lots of human interaction and outside playtime, he seems happy. We go outside a lot for ball chasing and tug, and he gets walked in the morning and night.

As has been said above, it's not quantity, but quality. (I'm lucky though, Shadow is just as happy sitting with us as he is playing a rough game of chase in the yard with the kids.)

Di

Shadow - GSD
Apache - Bernese Mtn / Australian Shep X
and gone but NEVER forgotten:
Smokey Joe - GSD/Rott X
Jake - Westie-Poo
Mandy - Peke-a-Poo
Denae - Akita/Malamute/GSD
T.J - Great Pyranees
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If you plan on leaving your dog outside on his own so that he can play and exercise, then 30 acres won't be enough - GSDs are very people oriented, and more than space, they need the involvement of their owners to be happy. As others said, size of house and yard will not matter to your dog, what will determine his happiness and well being is how much time you spend doing stuff with him.

Lots of walks, play sessions, and training is what will help develop your bond and relationship. Training is on-going, smart dogs like GSDs thrive on it. What really surprised me when I started formal training with my Mutt is not only how much it helped her, but how much I enjoyed it, and how it changed are relationship completely to the better.

So plan on on-going training and fun activities in addition to your regular walks, and you will have a very happy dog!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Master Member

It's plenty of room! We live in a 3 story townhome from what it sounds like similar to yours. We are going to be moving soon to a single family home. We are big on taking both dogs on long walks and taking them to a field near by to throw the ball every day, I think you'll be fine!

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
If you plan on leaving your dog outside on his own so that he can play and exercise, then 30 acres won't be enough - GSDs are very people oriented, and more than space, they need the involvement of their owners to be happy. As others said, size of house and yard will not matter to your dog, what will determine his happiness and well being is how much time you spend doing stuff with him.

Lots of walks, play sessions, and training is what will help develop your bond and relationship. Training is on-going, smart dogs like GSDs thrive on it. What really surprised me when I started formal training with my Mutt is not only how much it helped her, but how much I enjoyed it, and how it changed are relationship completely to the better.

So plan on on-going training and fun activities in addition to your regular walks, and you will have a very happy dog!

Well thanks for all the responses!!! I think I need to brush up on how and what I will be doing in-terms of in-house training.. Any recommendations?? I do plan on seeking outside help but I want to be able to know how to correct bad habits in-house.

Im glad on good with space now back to deciding which type of GSD to find.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

I have a smallish yard and a 4 foot fence and never had a problem. Bianca pretty much only uses the yard for potty breaks and chewing her raw bones. Once in a while we'll play fetch out there but usually we don't use it for exercise, we go elsewhere for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM

Plenty of room. Right now our home (rental) is a little under 1,000sqft. We make it work. I once had a 1,500sqft penthouse but knew I wanted a dog and settled down with my girl and well that's a long story.

So I (or we) traded up for a rental home with a backyard. Lucky we found a home up against a field. We have no issues. Does take more time to interact with your dog which is good..

But in a month or two we will be going into a 3,200sqft new home up against a golf course so no backyard here. But thing is, my experience it's not the space, but the time spent. All they want is attention and love. So I'm sure you'll be fine

Our dog is also an indoor dog too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page