Police Shoot Dog in Des Moines, WA - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Police Shoot Dog in Des Moines, WA

Dashcam video sheds light on dog's shooting by officers | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Local & Regional

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM

that sure doesnt look good. I know if I was on scene, i would have never allowed that to happen.

"Layla" Czech GSD 9-22-09
"Bear" Pom 11 yr old
"Zoe" GSD Mix 10-94/01-08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
poor doggy. she sounded really scared I'd be too with officers yelling at me and then tazing me

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM

So sad. Can somebody explain to me why they dispatched police officers instead of animal control? I think AC can handle situation like that much better/safer?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
This is disturbing on so many levels. First, all the officers seemed to be afraid of the dog. I can understand one officer, but three or four? These are Des Moines' finest?

Second, the dog was clearly agitated and the actions of the officers seemed likely to add to the dog's agitation rather than calm it.

Three, as far as can be known from the news report, the officers weren't responding to an emergency situation, i.e., the dog had attacked someone or was generally acting aggressive. So, like acillation asks, why wasn't animal control called to the scene?

Four, the dog was inside a fence, according to the news report.

Finally, the officer who said "nice" at the end seriously needs to lose his job and never be allowed to work in law enforcement again. I don't think he has the right temperament.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Knighted Member

that pissed me off so bad that i immediately sent an email to the des moines, wa police department explaining all the ways in which those officers miserably failed in their duties under those circumstances.

ive caught several stray dogs of a more aggressive nature by using food items and my brain. these officers seemed to be wetting their pants and at the same time seemed very eager to use their firearm....i bet that made them really happy since they likely rarely get to shoot anything in their little town.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Absolutely terrible ... no common sense and very disappointing for a police officer.

Elvis - DOB 4/15/10
RIP: King #2 - 11 1/2 yr old black GSD (1997-2008)
RIP: King #1 - 3 yr old GSD/Coyote mix (1993-1996)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
Finally, the officer who said "nice" at the end seriously needs to lose his job and never be allowed to work in law enforcement again. I don't think he has the right temperament.
Couldn't agree more! Who in their right mind says "nice" after taking a life? And that poor dog was in so much pain from the electricty going through her from the dang taser. Poor baby would be scared to death and confused.

Make no mistake, at least one of these officers already had it in their head they were going to kill this dog. After they asked if they should just kill it, their mind was made up. I doubt any change in the way that dog behaved would have provided a different ending. Had she approached, tail wagging, that guy still would have shot. They were too scared and too trigger happy to think clearly.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Crowned Member

one word comes to mind in reference to these "guys" and thats morons. I'm livid over this. They had NO reason once she was in her fence. She was doing what dogs do. Yes, she's a large breed and HER breed is generally very friendly. They really had to have scared that dog for her to behave that way. I've rescued dogs that truly WERE aggressive and what i would consider to be dangerous. One of those dogs was a black shepherd who was simply terrified and had no idea what was going on except he had been snipped, muzzled and left in his yard as usual while his owner went to work. I am so angry. You better believe this Police Department will get a strongly worded email from me and several others. They handled the situation beyond poorly and i agree the officer who said "nice" needs to lose his job. THAT is the kind of LEO i would refer to as a pig. You dont take a life, ANY life and say nice. Makes you wonder what he teaches his kids if he has any...

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Knighted Member

Yeah, what was up with that "Nice" at the end???? Seriously??? And where was AC. Why weren't they called?

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page