Rant and Choosing Sides? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rant and Choosing Sides?

Before my cousin got her Rottweiler, my GSD was her favorite, she loved everything about him and told me all the time that she couldn't believe how well behaved he was and how he was so smart.

Now that she has the Rottweiler (Rottenweiler is what I like to call him) all of a sudden my dog annoys her and it seems like she is always telling him to go to his kennel (if he gets told to go to his kennel he will and he will stay there until you say "ok" to release him). This is bothers me because she says it to him all the time.

Now I will admit that her dog bothers me. I feel like I yell at him a billion times a day. He is a PITA! I like the dog, I pet him and take him outside and I give him treats but he can be extremely annoying. He is always up to no good. He chases the cats, he bites my dogs tail, he tries to mount my dog, he puts his bone on my dogs head and chews on it, he is always climbing the cat condo to eat the cat food, he barks at the cats, he jumps on the furniture, he knocks over the water bowl, he still gets into my room and jumps on my bed and drools all over it (my cousin isn't helping me with training him to stay out of my room and she keeps forgetting to shut my door) he jumps up on people, he wipes his big fat drooly face all over my friends, my dog, me and my furniture!

He is a monster! I dont have to deal with him alot but when I do, I am annoyed by him.

Sinister almost never gets in trouble and now she is always yelling at him. When the Rottenweiler bites my dogs tail or mounts him MY DOG is the one getting sent to his kennel!!!!! I told her that's not going to fly anymore, my dog, my house, my rules. When the Rott acts up, he gets punished, not my dog.

When I take the dogs outside they NEVER leave the yard, not once. But she has been telling me that when she takes the dogs out Sinister leaves the yard and ran down the alley. I dont know if she is lying to me because I always yell at her dog and she knows that her dog is not well behaved and she wants to get my dog in trouble or if he really is leaving the yard and doesn't listen to her.

When my friends come over they request that I leave the Rott in his crate in her room, they dont want to deal with his drool, farts, jumping up and me constantly correcting him while we are trying to talk or watch a movie. When I told my cousin this she about had a heart attack she was so angry. She said "I let your dog out when I am home, so you need to let my dog out." I told her "Yes, you will let my dog out because this is his house and he is the one that is well behaved and my friends request that your dog remains in his crate because he doesn't know how to function correctly."

On saturday I had a friend over and so did my cousin. Her friend brought his 4 year old son and her Rottweiler knocked him down and ran over him like he was a bowling ball and the kid was a pin. He even bit at the kids hand. She yelled at him and gave him a correction with his choke chain but it didn't even phase him and he just did it again and again. Until the kids dad requested that the dog be put in his crate . Well she didn't put him in his crate. She left me to watch him while they sat in her room.

So now it seems we are choosing sides. We are going to have to sit down and talk about this. I dont want her taking Sinister outside with her anymore. I think that we should just keep them completely seperated. She does her thing with her dog and I do my thing with my dog.

It feels good to say what I have been wanting to say.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09

Remi ~ female Hound mix 10.??.17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

From all your posts about various dogs, it really sounds like you should be a one dog household. Some people just aren't cut out to have multiple dogs. He may be your cousins dog, but he's really a household dog because you all live in the house together.

You have to learn to see the good in other dogs, and stop comparing them to Sinister. You may think Sinister is perfect, but it's kind of like the old saying, - for every hot woman out there, some man thinks she's a - fill in the blank as you please -.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think the situation is all that uncommon. I personally cannot stand most peoples' dogs, including GSDs. On the flip side, most of my family and friends do not like dogs, especially GSDs. For me it's not so much about choosing sides, but keeping my dogs to myself and other people keeping their dogs to themselves. I do not let other people take my dogs out off leash or tell them when to go to their kennels unless it is a dogsitter I trust and am paying to do so.

I take it you live together? If so I kind of agree with Rerun. It's to be expected that some dogs are better behaved than others. I have this now with my 3-4 dogs living in my home. Often I say jokingly, "Why can't you act more like so-and-so?" But that's completely normal, and if one or more people in the home can't handle it then there should be one dog or no dogs together. My husband's dog is very different from my dogs but for every "bad" thing about him there are several good qualities and he's a great dog for my husband's personality. I can't expect to have all dogs behaving the exact same way, and even though we're a married couple we still like different qualities in dogs and can make it work.

Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 01-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I don't think the situation is all that uncommon. I personally cannot stand most peoples' dogs, including GSDs. On the flip side, most of my family and friends do not like dogs, especially GSDs. For me it's not so much about choosing sides, but keeping my dogs to myself and other people keeping their dogs to themselves. I do not let other people take my dogs out off leash or tell them when to go to their kennels unless it is a dogsitter I trust and am paying to do so.

I take it you live together?
Oh yes, sorry I didn't mention that, yes, we do live together. It's my house and she moved in almost 2 months ago. I love my cousin and her dog can be very good when he wants to be, he's actually pretty smart and a sweetheart but he gets into alot of trouble. But it seems like every time my dog moves it irratates her? If that makes sense? He never irratated her before she got the Rott but now it seems like she cant stand him and he isn't doing anything wrong?

Lauren

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, kinda looking outside the box a little....have you considered taking an OB class together? Cousin and her Rot, and you and Sin? It can be fun together and you both learn a little more about eachother's dogs.

My first OB class my sister took her older Aussie and the four of us attended the class together. It made 'social' walks etc. eaiser as we knew what both of us needed to work on. Admittedly, her Aussie was very well behaved and was just a bit rusty on some things - it really helped as we tend to spend a lot of time together.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Perhaps some "house rules"?

The dog that acts up gets a time out in the kennel.

If the Rottie is in your room, cousin washes your bedding and vice versa.

"On saturday I had a friend over and so did my cousin. Her friend brought his 4 year old son and her Rottweiler knocked him down and ran over him like he was a bowling ball and the kid was a pin. He even bit at the kids hand. She yelled at him and gave him a correction with his choke chain but it didn't even phase him and he just did it again and again. Until the kids dad requested that the dog be put in his crate . Well she didn't put him in his crate. She left me to watch him while they sat in her room."

Imo, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen and if you own the home, it will be against you from what I understand.

Yeah, you're going to have to talk this out. I think a combination of blunt (dog and kids) and tact (farts and drools) is what might work - at least that's a start!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Ok, kinda looking outside the box a little....have you considered taking an OB class together? Cousin and her Rot, and you and Sin? It can be fun together and you both learn a little more about eachother's dogs.

My first OB class my sister took her older Aussie and the four of us attended the class together. It made 'social' walks etc. eaiser as we knew what both of us needed to work on. Admittedly, her Aussie was very well behaved and was just a bit rusty on some things - it really helped as we tend to spend a lot of time together.
I highly doubt she would be willing to do OB classes. She thinks she is doing a terrific job at training and I know that she will not pay for them. She is filling out a voucher to get him neutered for free because she doesn't want to pay for his neuter.

Lauren

post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaked View Post
Perhaps some "house rules"?

The dog that acts up gets a time out in the kennel.

If the Rottie is in your room, cousin washes your bedding and vice versa.

"On saturday I had a friend over and so did my cousin. Her friend brought his 4 year old son and her Rottweiler knocked him down and ran over him like he was a bowling ball and the kid was a pin. He even bit at the kids hand. She yelled at him and gave him a correction with his choke chain but it didn't even phase him and he just did it again and again. Until the kids dad requested that the dog be put in his crate . Well she didn't put him in his crate. She left me to watch him while they sat in her room."

Imo, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen and if you own the home, it will be against you from what I understand.

Yeah, you're going to have to talk this out. I think a combination of blunt (dog and kids) and tact (farts and drools) is what might work - at least that's a start!
I didn't even think that that could be a lawsuit against me!

I will have to talk to her about that! Either the kid doesn't come over or her dog is crated while he is there.

Lauren

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dont get me wrong, I dont hate the dog, I like him, he just does alot of irratating things and I dont tolerate it as well as I should, he's not my dog so I am more annoyed with him.

But I dont get why my dog was everything she wanted and then she gets her Rott and now all of a sudden she acts like my dog is the one acting up and all of a sudden he is irratating her.

Lauren

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

Only training will help your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page