Our plum tree has to go - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Our plum tree has to go

My son and I will be cutting down our plum tree first thing in the morning, I believe it's making Shadow sick.

Shadow threw up today at the park, looked like just her breakfast, my son took her straight home where she spent the remainder of the day asleep in front of the aircon. My son went off to work tonight and I was left to feed all the dogs (we have 3 little dogs and Shadow). It had been about 5 hours since she had thrown up, so I decided to just put together a very tiny meal for her if she wanted it. If that stayed down then she could have another tiny bit a few hours later.

Well she was hungry, she ate her little meal, then I took her out the back so she could go potty. Within about 20 minutes she did a big runny poo, and then seamed to perk right up.

While I was sitting out the back waiting for her I was looking at our plum tree. I noticed my little dog pick up one of the fallen fruits and play with it. Then I spotted Shadow pick something up, I yelled out to her to drop it, which she did. Hmmm Plum pip. I came in and googled plums and dogs. The tree is going, those things are dangerous, the pips have cyanide. The pips can also cause intestinal blockages. Holy cow, I think this is what happened to Shadow about a month ago, and now I think this is why she threw up today. It's a risk I'm not willing to take, the tree is a gonna.

BTW, it's been about 2hrs since Shadows runny poo and she is back to pestering her little brothers and barking at possums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Wow, close call and good detective work! sorry you have to lose your tree... but really who eats plums nowadays anyway? lol j/k

hope shadow is feeling better.

Jennifer
Riley (GSD) Otis (French Bulldog) Cooper (lab mix)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

Aw, such a shame. I would love a plum tree. But sounds like it had to go, hope that solves her problem.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaSquash View Post
Wow, close call and good detective work! sorry you have to lose your tree... but really who eats plums nowadays anyway? lol j/k

hope shadow is feeling better.
Hmmmm....Plum Brandy??? and plum wood is very good for smoke houses. Home made sausages smoked over plum wood and some plum brandy= heaven
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM

You can keep your plum tree if you are willing to spray it each spring to stop fertilization and fruit production. You'll have the tree but no plums.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
This is good to know. I intend to have a plum tree, now I know it needs to be fenced off.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

Yes plum as well as peach and nectarine pits and apple seeds contain a cyanide compound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Elite Member

What about Cherry trees? I want to plant one in remembrance of someone close that passed and I love the looks of the tree. And love when it blooms.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristenHolden View Post
What about Cherry trees? I want to plant one in remembrance of someone close that passed and I love the looks of the tree. And love when it blooms.
Japanese blooming cherry trees or regular cherry trees?

Honestly I've seen dogs around both and those dogs never got ill but IDK if cherry pits are harmful to dogs - def. something to look into.

If you want beautiful blooming I would go with the Japanese ones (but that's only me)

Google Image Result for http://leftistmoon.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/japanese-cherry-tree-britain.jpg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Elite Member

Wow that is very pretty. I don't really care about cherry production we don't eat them. I jus love the looks of the cherry tree bright vibrant and beautyful jus like his soul. It was the first thing that came to mind when thinking of him. And to stay on topic my cousins have SEVERAL like 10 and have never had a problem with there dogs or ours with them being right down the hill.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page