Riley Just Jumped up and ate my Cookies! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Riley Just Jumped up and ate my Cookies!

So my dad made chocolate chip cookies and I grabbed two. I turned around with my hand up and Riley jumped up and grabbed them out of my hand and inhaled both of them. I yelled "NO!!" and he laid down and I opened his mouth to grab them so he didn't eat all of them. With my first dog I ever had, Marshall he did that with a sandwhich. Jumped up and grabbed it. With him I smacked him out of instinct * I realize I shouldn't have done it* and he never did it again. With Riley I just yelled "NO!" and then grabbed him by the scruff and led him to his kennel. I wasn't even angry when he did it just more like "NO!!! It's Chocolate!! It's bad!" so what would y'all have done or have you done when your dog did something like this? This is the first time he's done this. Hoping it's the last. I had just got done working with him on obedience too! I don't know what his deal was because I've always held food in front of him when he has tried to get it and said "Leave it" and he's always backed away and then I've praised him. Not literally hold food in front of him, just when I eat I'll leave my food there and say leave it so he learns it's not his. I just don't know what his deal was tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Knighted Member

Well, I wouldn't use the kennel as a means to punish. The saying no was good and then follow it up with an appropriate treat. Or continue the leave it command - another good opportunity to train.

They are like kids - sometimes they either forget or they just really want it.

That little bit of chocolate should be okay. Just make sure he got a glass of milk to wash them down - just kidding!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Crowned Member

Well, a few minutes ago mine just reached onto the table and pulled the entire cookie container down at my mother's house. Great!
I was laughing so hard it was too late to catch her in the act anyway. Next she chased the vacuum hose biting it as I swept.

Afraid I am not a good manners teacher!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Lol, yeah. After I cleaned it up I got him out of the kennel. He wasn't even in there 3 minutes. As I was typing the original post he was out laying on my bed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe he misread your body language?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:32 AM
Elite Member

I've been known to reach halfway down my dogs' throats to remove stolen food, just so stealing doesn't become a self-rewarding behaviour. OTOH, when I caught Gunnar sneaking down the hallway trying as hard as he could to look invisible with half a pepperoni pizza hanging out of his mouth, all I could do was open the door & send him outside so he wouldn't see me laughing at him.

...and just last night I made myself some absolutely HORRID instant mashed potatoes & while eating them, muttered something to the effect of, "I should just feed the rest of this to the dog." Well, I put the box away, and about half an hour later Kaija waltzed into the bedroom carrying that box of potato flakes! Dang, you do have to be careful what you say out loud when you've got a GSD....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 AM
Crowned Member

That depends. You said you had just been working your dog. Were you training with food? Could your dog have been thinking you were still a pez dispenser?

If my dog had done this for the first time, not following a training session, I would have told him no in no uncertain fashion - no scruffing and no crate time. If my dog did this more than once, then I would have smacked him upside the head with a loud no and that would be the end of that.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Well it wasn't too soon after I had been working with him, and yes it was with food. I was outside working on "Come" and stuff and I was using bread crumbs. We went inside and I cleaned his paws up and stuff and then I went to get some cookies. I turned around and woosh, up he went grabbing a bit of my hand too! lol,
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

I suspect that was too soon after being a pez dispenser for your dog and he still thought food in your hands was fair game. You have to be extremely fair when correcting your dog or he doesn't understand why he's being corrected and in this case I don't think more than a mild no would have been fair.

Elaine and the herd
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogaroo View Post
when I caught Gunnar sneaking down the hallway trying as hard as he could to look invisible with half a pepperoni pizza hanging out of his mouth, all I could do was open the door & send him outside so he wouldn't see me laughing at him.
That's really bad...but really funny!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page