Price of a titled import adult dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question Price of a titled import adult dog?

MrsK had a great thread about the price of a particular dog. I think the general concensious was that the dog was high priced. Then we got into the issues of ethics & fair price for what breeders charge for adult dogs.

We all have in our mind what we will not go over (price wise) when it comes to purchasing a dog.

I ask now, what do you think is a "Fair" price for a 2 year old trained import dog that has a title or 2? With your price go ahead and say what type of dog as that well help keep things in perspective. (Czech, WGSL, Mali, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Knighted Member

I'd be willing to pay upwards of $5,000 for a DDR, male, SchHIII that can fetch various things from around the house and knows several items in the fridge... let's face it, protection is all good but I require more things from the fridge each day than I'm attacked on the street... and he'll need to know to close the fridge door at the end, too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Elite Member

I think a Sch1 (IPO1) titled and hip xrayed GSD from Europe will cost you around $3000, as a base price. Then you start looking at quality of training, level of training, quality of dog as far as conformation or working ability or both, and add in quality of pedigree, and the price will go up. If the dog is breed surveyed, add another $$$$, base price, if it's V, KK1, that will bump the price too.

Then look at the age--is the dog 2 years old or 6 years old? Is it a dog for competition or breeding? Then age becomes particularly relevant--if you're buying a 6 year old female for breeding, the price should be significantly less than if she were 3 years old. Unless you're talking about an extraordinary dog who has proven herself on the trial field or in producing excellent puppies--then your price might be significantly *higher*.

A SchH3 DDR male, say 3 years old -- I'm guessing -- would probably cost > $6000, unless he has a fault that makes him not breedworthy, in which case, he might cost a great deal less. (But usually, if they have something that makes them not breedworthy, they will be sold before being titled to the 3 level.)

And, of course, factor in the "if someone will pay it, it's obviously a fair price" element. I might not pay $20,000 for a Sch3 "executive protection" dog--but someone has.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on the pedigree as well.

Strong work/proven pedigree green dogs can start at 4000-4500 in Europe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page