My dog...the "Item Collector" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My dog...the "Item Collector"

I love my 2 yr old to death but I swear he is driving me nuts with this.

He has free run of the house as I have a doggie door and he is great in and out of the house. The problem is that he likes collecting my "personal items".

Personal items is the key phrase because he doesn't take just anything but rather things that are mine. Like a **** serial killer...just collecting a item from the person he kills.

1. Last week I was looking for my glasses as I got up and couldn't find them. Realized that I hadn't seen them in 2 days and they are always on bed as I go to sleep. Something told me to check the backyard. Sure enough there they were. He chewed up the frame and I was left with just (2) lenses.

2. One day I found two of my hats in the middle of the backyard. They weren't chewed on but rather laying out there.

3. The other morning as I awoke in bed, I heard him put something in his mouth and I immediately said, "no!" and something hit the floor and he ran downstairs to his crate. I got out of bed and found that he had my work badge and it was on the floor. Obviously he was going to take it to the backyard or his crate. Again, it wasn't chewed on.

4. We had a full day of rain yesterday here in frigid cold AZ. I woke up this morning looking for my sneakers. I looked or 30 minutes till I closed my eyes and mumbled a few cuss words. I went into the backyard and sure enough there were my sneakers & to my surprise also my slippers...........soaking wet. So I had to toss them both in the trash.

5. Again this morning I went to put his food in his crate to eat and noticed tto my surprise that he had a receipt that was on the floor in my bedroom in his crate. Again, wasn't chewed on but was neatly in the front of his crate.

It amazes me how he doesn't take anything else out there to the backyard except for like beef bones I feed him in his crate. I guess when he is done with them he takes them out into the backyard. He doesn't take anything else!! Like he wants stuff that he knows I use or have my scent on them. Maybe he misses me while I am gone and wants something that I use to make him feel better while I am gone to work. He isn't being destructive (minus my glasses....still pissed about that as I now have to wear my contacts 24/7) but just collects my everyday items.

Anyoen else go through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

My greyhounds were always running off with books, magazines, and anything else paper. My current foster is always running off with my clothes. I usually wake up with my slippers, shoes, gloves, pants, and a few other things in bed with me that weren't there when I went to bed. It's annoying, but as long as she isn't destructive, I'm ok with it.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Elaine...you are right I guess I need to let it go b/c it could be worse if they were destructive. lol..yes it is annoying.

Funny thing is that when I am home he doesn't take anything. He is perfect in the house. Just when I am gone these instances have happened. I keep my room door closed when I leave for work.

I am surprised he hasn't taken any of my clothes out of the laundry room since he can go in there anytime.

Now when I get home it will be my routine to check the backyard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Knighted Member

Sounds like he doesn't need free reign of the house,lol Zoe will still chew from time to time and loves taking the soles out of everyone's shoes so when we are not home she is crated
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yeah I have thought about crating. I hate to do it too as he has always had free reign. I never have to tell him no so that si why I think he must me miss not being there. When I am home, no issues at all..zero.

Think I will spend more time when I get home to see if that helps. He is my PPD so I hate to crate him while I am gone. With holidays haven't really trained but with them almost being over and getting back to 2-3x a week training, that will knock it out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Knighted Member

I am too afraid to let my shepherds have free reign so if I am not there I crate them. I would drive myself nuts the entire time I was away from them if I did leave them out. Victor is good in the house, but I don't know what he would carry off as I have never left him alone in the house. Jamie would carry off anything she could get in her mouth and take it to her bed.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

All of my dogs will run off with my shoes. It's my fault if I can't find them when I need them and I didn't put them safely out of reach. They never chew my shoes, just move them to their crates, the bed, or the couch.

One of my greys used to always try and sneak one outside with him. It got to the point where I had to actively check his mouth each and every time before letting him out as he was super good at tucking his head so I couldn't see it.

Sometimes you have to choose your battles and this isn't one I choose to fight. Anything I don't want to have to go and look for, I make sure it's put away where they can't get it.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Willow likes to take my things, especially if I leave my hat where she can reach it. However, she doesn't take them and hide them, she will grab it and walk by me real slow just to see if I will get up and chase her. It is a huge fun game for her. If I am in the mood I will get up and chase her but usually she ends up dropping it on the floor and giving me the "you're no fun" look.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page