AKC Registration Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

AKC Registration Help

So I went to the AKC site about registration and if I get limited registration on my pup, she won't be able to do conformation. I'm not completely sure if I want to do conformation, but what if I change my mind and decide that I do want to do conformation? I will probably spay her, so should I really get full registration? My breeder says I will need to have my mind made up after the litter is here, but I've been thinking about this for a while and feel like I can not only make a decision, but a good decision asking you guys for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

Why not fully register the dog to begin with?
This way...if you decided later, that you want to try conformation..you will have the option.
If you choose to spay her later...it doesn't change anything.
Full registration only gives a dog the "ability" to show in conformation or be bred...it doesn't mean it "must" be.
Best wishes to you,
Robin

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you.

See, that was the problem. I was thinking if I going to full reg her, it would be better if she were bred and that full reg is for breeding. Now I feel confortable with full reg and spaying her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

Robin - limited registration can be changed to full later right? But if you are going to show in conformation, wouldn't you want to start the dog as a puppy?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:09 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm not sure if spayed females are allowed to compete in conformation. You could just hold off spaying until after she completes her championship.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

Yes...limited can be changed to full (by the breeder) later.
Spayed females cannot compete in Conformation Shows as far as I know...
Conformation Shows are considered "breed" shows....so no "altered" dogs are supposed to compete.
Jax...I think that the OP is getting a puppy.....and yes, it's best to start with a puppy...but dogs that are older can also be taught, and do extremely well!
Robin

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks Robin! My question was actually for me for reference in the far future. As far as I know spayed/neutered can not be shown in conformation too. But, it sounds like if you want to show then it's best to get full registration from that start.

So, if you have a buyer that wants a puppy for show but you want to make sure the dog isn't bred before the OFA's are done, how do you write that up in the contract?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

You know Jax.....we don't have a long, complicated contract.
I guess, in our situation...we would have to rely on the integrity of the buyer.
A breeder can stipulate anything they want or request in a contract...but ultimately it is up to the honesty of the buyer to uphold it.
I rarely do "limited registration"...we usually only do such, if a puppy has a physical reason.....ie..undesended testicle, incorrect detention..etc..etc..
We also offer guidance to our buyers, so that we can assist them in making the proper choices for their puppies/dogs.
Robin
*I know that this info will probably fall hard on some members of the forum*.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

If you spay her she still can't show in conformation, so the type of registration doesn't matter.

If you think you want to show her in conformation then you need to discuss this with the breeder. Even if she is initially sold on limited, if you decide to do conformation later the breeder can upgrade that to full so you can show her. But again you need to discuss with the breeder. Some breeders who make a practice to sell on limited will make arrangements for a pup to go out on full for someone who wants to do conformation showing. They might handle this with a different sort of contract, though many will do it by being listed as a co-owner on the registration as that is the safer bet in terms of making sure the dog is not bred since AKC won't register the litter unless both co-owners fill out paperwork. So this way allows for being able to show the dog while still keeping with the spirit of selling pups on limited registration. Either way it is something you have to discuss and work out with your breeder.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Elite Member

I am thinking the decision has to be made before purchase. It sounds as if the breeder would sell the pup with full reg, but at a higher price. Will sell her the pup on limited reg, at a lower price. That is why the decision needs to be made before the breeder is ready to register the litter. But I am just guessing.

If it were me, I would buy with full reg. Then it wont matter what you do with her. You would want to wait on spaying her until she is done growing anyway, and by then she could have confirmation points.

Dawn Brogan
Littlehaus German Shepherd Dogs
Yoko v. d. Burg Austerlitz 06/16/2006-10/21/2019
Delloreese vom Littlehaus 03/20/2014
Georgia vom Littlehaus 02/23/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page